What's the most enjoyable manual focus only lens you ever used?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The only manual focus lens I had was the Sigma 28 f/2.8 AIS which was a pleasure to use, it just didn't do too well paired with the 24mp sensor of the D610. But the focusing was buttery smooth.

What's yours?

I've got loads of manual focus lenses, but over the years on average I've had more enjoyment out of the Pentax M50mm 1.7 than any of the others. Very well built, smooth action and no complaints at all on it's optics despite it's age.

I've got loads of manual focus lenses, but over the years on average I've had more enjoyment out of the Pentax M50mm 1.7 than any of the others. Very well built, smooth action and no complaints at all on it's optics despite it's age.

And they are only $35 on ebay, Crazy!

Having owned, and currently own, scores of MF lenses, I can't say I've ever considered one in particular as a "favorite". Especially based solely on the smoothness of the focus mechanism.

Mine has to be the Pentax K 50mm 1.7 hands down. Quick to focus, smooth as silk, sharp, and nice contrast.

If I had to pick from the handful I own and tried. Then I'd say the zeiss 21mm 2.8 Distagon. It's my most favorite and most used lens.
For whatever that's worth since I haven't been at this for very long.

And they are only $35 on ebay, Crazy!

A shame as I've been given 3 spares - that doesn't seem to happen with the more expensive models :)

Smoothest and easiest focusing manual focus only lens? Hmmmm...probably Nikon's 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S. I've owned two, one I bought in 1982 I guess it was, right when it came out in Ai-S form...still have it...another one I bought in 2004 or so, and later sold to a TPF forum member...GREAT mechanical build on this lens. Built-in sliding lens shade, 52mm filter thread, and well-optimized manual focusing "throw" and a great helicoid. SUPER-easy to focus by hand and eye, good optics, small size, good weight, very nice images. The 105/2.5 (in earlier forms) was one of **the main** lenses Nikon earned its reputation on. I really, really,really liked the 105/2.5 as a manual focus lens for 35mm film work.

Other good ones: 135/2.8 Ai-S, 85/2 Ai, 300/4.5 ED~IF, 400/3.5 ED~IF, 200 f/4 Ai or Ai-S.

I tend to like lenses which are smallish, so the 400mm f/3.5 is kind of an outlier, but for a big-glass lens it its easier to handle than a 300/2.8, due to the slender barrel and the way it was designed to balance on a monopod.

For manual focus zoom lenses: the 50-135mm f/3.5 AiS was a favorite. GREAT focal length range! made only in one production run, this lens uses 62mm filters, has one ring for focus and zoom, and is pretty good optically. The big plus is the 50mm bottom end: VERY versatile. This was expensive when it came out,and is a bit harder to find than many lenses of its era.

The 80-200mm f/4 AiS is another really nice lens, and is very affordable these days, usually under $100, and still quite sharp, and a very fine performer. Very plentiful, this lens is one to consider if you need an 80-200 zoom lens but are poor.

Zeiss Super Wide Angle 21mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM Manual Focus
or
Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

The latter is an f mount lens and the former for leica m mount.

I Have 9 MF and one AF... I love Loxia 35 and 50 mm f2 and Zeiss 28 mm f2.8

Manual focus or auto focus, my favorite lens is the one getting the job done.

Err ... seriously, what exactly is an "enjoyable manual focus lens" ?

I currently use:

Carl Zeiss "Distagon" T* 2.0/35mm ZF.2
Voigtländer "Nokton" 58mm f/1.4 SL II "N"
Carl Zeiss "Makro Planar" T* 2.0/100mm ZF
Nikkor AI-S 300mm f4.5

Each of these lenses is just awesome on my D750.

For example right now my D750 has the Zeiss 35 mounted again, which replaced my Nikkor AF-S 28mm f1.8 as the walkaround lens. Among other things, its also sharper than the Nikkor 28.

I also want a Zeiss "Distagon" T* 2/28mm ZF.2. I might even buy that one new, since its so rare on the used market.

I also would instantly snatch a AI 300mm f2.8 IF-ED (or the older AI-S, without the protective element) if I saw one in good condition for a good price.

Anyone have the Voitlander 40 f/2?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back