What's the nicest lens you've used?

Nicest Lens I own, would prolly be my FL 135mm f/3.5

My FD 28mm 2.8 is sharper than I expected though, it to is rather nice.

Not the most exotic lenses in the world but....

You may be overlooking something, the Canon 7 has two bayonets
I am familiar with the Canon 7 rangefinder.... yes two mounts and certainly not enough space difference to make up for a mirror box in the SLR. The 7 is similar size to a Leica M5. IIRC the lens to film distance is the same for both mounts. The distance difference between SLRs and rangefinders is HUGE. This is the reason why many 50 0.95 lenses have been adapted to the Leica M-mount and various other rangefinders (but not SLRs). http://www.camera-care.com/canon_f0_95_conv.htm

The reason why I am pursuing this is that this discussion has come up many times on other forums and usually results in improbable with infinity focus maintained. If I could find an adapter, I would jump on it immediately (at almost any cost). This would mean I can carry an SLR as a backup camera for my rangefinder.

[edit]
I just realized there are a few rather large 55mm, 58mm, and 50mm FL/FD mount lenses with f/1.2 aperture. Perhaps those are the lenses you remember.

My Nikon 300 F4 is my top choice of my lenses at this point in time. Love it!

I love mine also, but I'd have to say that I'll give up my 80-200 2.8 Nikkor when they pry it from my cold dead hand. :D

LWW

The best lens I have? Probably the 50mm 1.8 AI. It just makes me think so differently about my photography. And the best lens I have used? Probably the 105mm VR Micro. It hunts, but the focusing is very accurate and the bokeh is beautiful. I'm ashamed now :(

my recently acquired Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 :thumbup:

and not one I use all the time, but my favourite is my Sigma 10-20. Anyone who has not used a really wide angle lens should borrow one for a bit. They can be a lot of fun.

For Alaskan winters I love shooting with this. Its the only lens that i have that can open up enough in the 3 hours of light we get.

55mmf12OM.jpg

A Canon 50mm f1.2. It's not really exotic, but still the absolute nicest lens I've ever used. Portraits with just the eyes perfectly sharp... amazing.

My favorite lens ever was an old MD mount Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 lens I had for my Minoltas. Now it sleeps with the fishes. Note to self, periodically check strength of camera straps before the camera is hanging precariously of the edge of a 100 foot high bridge.

Geez, what a bummer Chris.

I am familiar with the Canon 7 rangefinder.... yes two mounts and certainly not enough space difference to make up for a mirror box in the SLR. The 7 is similar size to a Leica M5. IIRC the lens to film distance is the same for both mounts. The distance difference between SLRs and rangefinders is HUGE. This is the reason why many 50 0.95 lenses have been adapted to the Leica M-mount and various other rangefinders (but not SLRs). http://www.camera-care.com/canon_f0_95_conv.htm

The reason why I am pursuing this is that this discussion has come up many times on other forums and usually results in improbable with infinity focus maintained. If I could find an adapter, I would jump on it immediately (at almost any cost). This would mean I can carry an SLR as a backup camera for my rangefinder.

[edit]
I just realized there are a few rather large 55mm, 58mm, and 50mm FL/FD mount lenses with f/1.2 aperture. Perhaps those are the lenses you remember.

No, I'm sure it was the .95, though the camera may have been a Pellix, not a FTb, and the adapter was a Canon standard item, as well, though tough to find, even then. I ordered it from my local Canon dealer and they ended up getting one 4 weeks later, as I recall.
Hard to remember details of a camera/lens I owned for a few months, 25+ years later.

erie

My favourite would have to be just my plain old 50mm lens on my AE-1 is my favourite, but my sigma fisheye is a close close second.

too much fun with that lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back