What's the word on PW FlexTT5 poppers?

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really need a good popper solution that allows me to mount the flash directly to the receiver as my 430's don't have PC Sync ports.

I've read that there have been some firmware updates that improve the function of the TT5's to where they're pretty reliable out to 30ft or so.

Is there any news on the latest versions/firmware for the TT5's? How are they working with Canon flashes these days?

Here's another solution

Amazon.com: Wein - Flash adapter: Camera & Photo

I use a Wein Safe-Synch (a more expensive version of the above) with my vivitar 283 to protect my 30D from the higher voltages. I can also use it with my 430 and it gives me PC cord ability.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You already have radio triggers of some kind, don't you?

Why not just get a hot-shoe adapter like THIS. I like this one because it uses a miniphone jack rather than a PC connection.

I really need a good popper solution that allows me to mount the flash directly to the receiver as my 430's don't have PC Sync ports.

I've read that there have been some firmware updates that improve the function of the TT5's to where they're pretty reliable out to 30ft or so.

Is there any news on the latest versions/firmware for the TT5's? How are they working with Canon flashes these days?

It's just that the radio interference that the 430's put out, along with several other Canon flashes, is very high and is on the same channel at the PW's. I think PW said they were coming up with a shielding solution and that there were other things you could try.

You could always get a hotshoe adapater or the Canon off camera TTL flash cable.

You already have radio triggers of some kind, don't you?

Why not just get a hot-shoe adapter like THIS. I like this one because it uses a miniphone jack rather than a PC connection.
Thanks! I didn't know such a creature existed. I have Cyber Syncs and would love to continue using them. I'll order a couple of these and give them a shot.

It's just that the radio interference that the 430's put out, along with several other Canon flashes, is very high and is on the same channel at the PW's. I think PW said they were coming up with a shielding solution and that there were other things you could try.

You could always get a hotshoe adapater or the Canon off camera TTL flash cable.
Yeah, I was reading that the 430's were more problematic than the 430EXII's (which I have).

I think I'll try the solution Mike mentioned and see how it goes.

Speaking of the TT5's anybody mess around with them yet?

I'm thinking of picking one up to replace my Plus II so I can also have the option of on camera flash.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Tip: RF shielding fabric around 580EX, 580EX II doubles new PocketWizard range

Radio frequency interference from Canon speedlights is a big problem with the new PW's, and the flashes need shielding or shrouding to make them work at long distances.

430 EX-II flashes seem to be the least noisy; 580 EX-II flashes have the worst RF interference it seems. There's an RF suppression fabric called VeilShield, sold by this company EMF Safety Superstore- "Electromagnetic Field Detection & Protection".

Here's what a Canon flash looks like when fitted with a VeilShield wrap to stop its RF emissions from giving long-range PW Flext 5 triggering
http://www.robgalbraith.com/data/1/rec_imgs/3030_veilshield_03_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the resources Derrel:thumbup:

Rob Galbraith DPI: Tip: RF shielding fabric around 580EX, 580EX II doubles new PocketWizard range

Radio frequency interference from Canon speedlights is a big problem with the new PW's, and the flashes need shielding or shrouding to make them work at long distances.

430 EX-II flashes seem to be the least noisy; 580 EX-II flashes have the worst RF interference it seems. There's an RF suppression fabric called VeilShield, sold by this company EMF Safety Superstore- "Electromagnetic Field Detection & Protection".

Here's what a Canon flash looks like when fitted with a VeilShield wrap to stop its RF emissions from giving long-range PW Flext 5 triggering
http://www.robgalbraith.com/data/1/rec_imgs/3030_veilshield_03_thumb.jpg

So I just read the links you provided and this is exactly why I didn't purchase the FlexTT5 during its release last spring. I've heard from a friend who was having issues with it >30ft. It was also variable based on the height of his flash setup and how long his lenses were connected in the camera(he thinks that the long lenses can also cause obstruction of the signal).

Most reactions

Back