whats this lens used for?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dust_0ff, Oct 19, 2007.

1. dust_0ff

dust_0ff TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I recently aquired a nikkor 70-300mm 5.6g lens and am not realy sure what it is used for. or good for , for that matter.
    can anyone explain to me what this lens is all about. i am fairly new to photography and have found myself hooked on this new found past time of mine. thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

2. doobs

doobs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You zoom with it. It's a Telephoto lens.

3. dust_0ff

dust_0ff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the smart ass remark

4. lordson

lordson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i dont think he was being a smart ass

thats what you use it for, long zooming. like a far away big rock, also especially good for bird photography and astrophotography

somebody give the man a link to a review site of that lens, so he can find out more about it. or you can google it

5. Sheriff

Sheriff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This lens is useful in many ways, one - the most obvious is getting far subjects closer by zooming in to 300 mm, it's helpful in situations when you can't get close to your subjects, like a football game or wild animals. Other good way to utilize this lens is to use it for portrait photography: use the long end of the lens (150 - 300mm) and a wide aperture (f5.6) place your sitter some distance away (the farther the more blurred the background will be) from the background and focus on the eyes (the closest eye to the lens if the subject is turned). This technique will give you portraits with nicely blurred backgrounds. Another use is for close-up photography, like flowers and other small objects. Long lenses compress perspective in the images compared to wide angle ones, if you will take a picture of telegraph poles from a side angle with a wide angle lens they will appear much apart, but if you will use a telephoto lens instead and frame the scene the same way as previous (you'll have to stand farther because long lenses bring everything closer) the poles will appear kinda compressed and closer to each other. So here are some suggestions about your lens.:)

6. dust_0ff

dust_0ff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    awsome that was the kinda help i was looking for thanks alot sherif. maybe i should have been more specific in the title of my thred