Whats wrong with my photos?

bake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yeah, white balance is way off, and it doesn't look all that sharp. It's impossible to troubleshoot without being able to see the shot data though - the EXIF data - like shutter speed, aperture, focal length, ISO, etc.

Did you have saran wrap in front of the lens on the 2nd one? :mrgreen: Looks like you did and you got some glare/reflection. For shooting like that unless I was being paid, I'd use a cheap lens that I didn't care about very much for one, and then I'd also put a plastic UV filter on it so that if it took a hit it'd protect the front element enough without spraying glass shards everywhere. Would also use a lens hood, and that way unless you get somebody shooting straight down your lens barrel, it'll be pretty well protected. A more profesionally built lens would easily take a hit on the side without sustaining any damage.

The Minolta is an X700 - a film camera so no EXIF data, white balance etc.

The shot of the watch looks as though it was taken on daylight film with tungsten lighting (ie ordinary light bulbs) which has given the characteristic yellow effect. To prevent this you can use a blue colour correction filter on the lens - they come in various shades to correct different light sources to register correctly on daylight film. Alternatively, if you are scanning your images you can make the colour correction in Photshop or whatever.

The outdoor shot looks as though it has been overexposed a bit and there is possibly flare from the sky. Check your exposure - you really need to know what mode you are using and what your exposure is.

White Balance? I don't know anything about the white balance? I was using 400 speed film in both shots. Can I use the hood and filter at the same time? Never tried it. The lens says Nikura MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5 75-200mm No.K8500679 on the end. Is this a good lens? Know where my dad got all of this stuff back in the 80's, probably not. Where can I get a UV Filter for that lens?

with film you need to use a correction filter when using outdoor film indoors, or indoor film outdoors. If not the color balance is not correct, with digital cameras this is called using the correct white balance..

you can use a filter and a lens hood at the same time, however, depending on the focal length of the lens using both could create an effect called vingetting.

you need to check the lens to see what mm size filter it needs and then either get one on line or at a local photo store. look for something that says 52mm or 62mm etc.

White Balance? I don't know anything about the white balance?
Yeah forget everything I said. I completely missed that you were using a film camera. White balance only applies to digital cameras.

Thanks for the help! Any other opinions?

The composition on the watch is boring since it is dead center.

Why are you putting Saran Wrap on your lens again? I can understand wrapping the body (of the camera and lens both) to keep the paint off but a UV filters are pretty cheap and you should be able to wash paintball paint off pretty easily anyway.

I don't have a UV filter. What would be the best place to get one for the lens listed above?

try ebay or your local camera store

Thanks for the help! Any other opinions?
You used daylight film under incandescent lighting. To get the correct color, you would need to install a 80B filter which is a fairly dark blue. Even that may not be enough, but it'll get you in the ballpark as far as color balance goes.

Most reactions

Back