what's wrong with my photos?

transient

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i don't think this is just happening on prints as the negatives look like they have the same marks. anyway, here is a link
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2060/218/70/506890983/n506890983_1960297_1114.jpg

see the white marks on either side of the canvas?

this doesn't happen with all rolls, but it's probably happening about 30% of the time, and during the period i took that picture i was going through about 5 rolls a week for three months.

so does this sound like a film issue or a camera issue?

for reference: nikon fg slr

could be some light leaks. the film doesn't seem to be too tight in there either. this may explain the crease-looking effect in the upper and lower (left and right in this photo) part of the negative.

but I took a ton of rolls with a different camera (Nikkormat) on all different settings and diff speed films and never had this problem. As you can see in the pic i posted it's grainy cuz it's a 400 speed and there's not a light leak but a block on the top and bottom, that is intentional. and i didn't use a flash, so it's room light in the bathroom at a bar.

but that's not what i'm talking about. i'm talking about the white marks on either side of the frame. they look like streaks that get more intense on the sides, but really go across the whole frame.

Looks to me like light leaks passing through the film's sprocket holes.

What condition are your FG's light seals? Most FGs need new seals by now.

yikes, i've never deal with light seals. but i see the connection with the sprockets.

when you say most FGs need new seals by now, is there something that would have decayed since the camera was made? I got this camera used and really don't know much about maintenance & repair.

Before getting to light seals, there is one other possibility: I notice that
in your example picture you are holding the camera away from your eye.
Some 35mm SLRs are susceptible to light leaks through the eyepiece of
the camera when it is not held up close to your eye. Before doing anything
else I would test this by taking some shots with the eyepiece covered and
some without. Then, see if that is causing the problem. Some cameras
have eyepiece covers (either built into the camera or as an added accessory).
The FG doesn't have one built-in and I'm not sure if Nikon made a cover
for that camera but you can easily cover the eyepiece with your hand if it's
not being used at eye level.

If that doesn't work, it's on to the light seals (which probably need replacing
regardless). :)

Last edited:
yikes, i've never deal with light seals. but i see the connection with the sprockets.

when you say most FGs need new seals by now, is there something that would have decayed since the camera was made? I got this camera used and really don't know much about maintenance & repair.

The light seals are a foam material, they do decay over time.

Here's something about it
Replace the light seals of your good old film camera

What type of film is used ?
Did you roll it yourself from bulk?

How was the negative developed ?

Could be light leaks from cannister.
or X Ray exposure ... or stress marks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back