What's Wrong with this Picture

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by juno444444, Apr 16, 2007.

1. juno444444

juno444444 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well it probably wasn't sharp because you were shooting at F/32, also that tends to have negative effects as far as colors go (ie saturation). With f/11 or so you could have used a much lower ISO and then when you converted to B&W you wouldnt see so much noise. Also there is a lot of dead space in the picture.

That being said, I think it is a cool picture and looks much older than it actually is.

3. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well, you cant really see the whole building, thats probably the problem.

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure that shooting at f32 would cause that much softness on its own.

Is the image cropped?

1/400th sec at 300mm is still borderline for camera shake and at f32 I wonder if the image was actually underexposed? If so trying to recover in RAW or jpg will just induce a lot of noise - making the image look very soft. High ISO800 has also caused some noise too.

Maybe think a little more about exposure

Regards
    Jim

5. RedDevilUK

RedDevilUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well IMO its the fact the building being centered that spoils it.

more to the right, would have shown the clock tower more.... and more to the left, more bridge in the background.

just my two penneth

as already said though.. it does age the picture, Germany 1940 look :D

6. bencze

bencze TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Imho for an architectural pic the building is kinda cut in two, and for a city landscape I somehow think the composition is a bit off (too much sky).
    Other than that I would expect more shades of gray. It's more or less, indeed black & white, not too many shades between the two.

Don't ask me about the technical reasons, though. :)

7. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not enough contrast variation. The picture was under exposed and brightened which leaves all that noise and distortion in the shadows. Looks like someone tried to save an underexposed picture, lacking shadow detail.

I won't comment on the composition. It's in thirds, bottom top, right left. No lateral or perpendicular bisectors, which is a positive.

Same photo with proper exposure on the buildings, not the sky, may look much better?

I thought that spot to the right of the steeple was a blemish, but it's a bird! :thumbup:

8. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

F/8 is the sweet spot for most lenses, I feel here though you could have used a graduate filter to balance the shot. I have been using one lately and have been kicking myself in the rear for not getting one sooner. also if you have CS2 an HDR would have woked well in this situation. But a grad filter is much easier.
    Cosmo

9. juno444444

juno444444 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is really useful, I didn't know that about F32. I was trying for max D of F but actually it wasn't necessary in this photo. And the ISO was a problem. I might try the shot again when there are more clouds in the sky etc, so maybe the sky wouldn't be all whitish... and there are other helpul hints in this thread...

10. juno444444

juno444444 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, not cropped.

Yes I didn't have tripod with me, hadn't planned to go up on that tower at all. If I can I might try to go back with a tripod, larger aperture and lower ISO.

11. juno444444

juno444444 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I did have some more-to-the-right versions ... but I liked this one better for some reason.

12. juno444444

juno444444 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I could try it. I had darkened the buildings and tried to increase contrast with the sky but maybe if I reshoot with a tripod I will have more options. It was really blurry in the beginning.