What's wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by JohnMF, Sep 10, 2009.

1. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

hi

I've just bought a brand new canoscan 8800f, and have scanned in a couple of negs, but i've notice these weird blemishes appearing on the pictures and i can't figure out what they are or what's causing them.

I can't see anything on the original negs with my naked eye, and the prints (although they're not very good) don't show any signs of the blemishes. they appear uniformly across the scans

[​IMG]

close up crop

[​IMG]

Do they look like the type of thing you could expect on expired film maybe? or could it be a defective scanner?

Any ideas appreciated...

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    perhaps the glass on the scanner needs to be cleaned.

if it was on the film, you should see it in the print. you have indicated you can't see anything on the print. the negative itself may be harder to read if your not used to viewing negartives.

i have never seen newton rings like this, but i suppose there is always a first.

3. KevinDks

KevinDks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You say that you've scanned a couple of negatives - are the marks identical on both? If they are obviously the same on both scans then, as Ann says, it sounds like something on the scanner. If they are different then I'd say it's probably fungus - I've seen very similar marks on some old Kodachromes and even with a loupe on a lightbox it is hard to spot, but the scanner seems to bring it right out.

Kevin

4. ann

Photos NOT OK to edit
    fungus didn't cross my mind, but that is a possibility especially if this is old film .

5. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The 'hairy' things are probably dust. I have to brush my negatives off just before I close the scanner lid to avoid them, and some still seem to get in. The spots look like water spots to me, although, not so sure since you say it's not on the prints. Did the negatives get wet or splattered with something after the prints were made?

6. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

i think Ann was right. I had a closer look at the scanner bed with a magnifying glass, and under a strong light you can just make out hundreds of tiny specs. There must have been a fine mist settle on it while it was in the factory and now it's dried and left marks.

anyway, i gave it a clean and it appears to be much better, might need another going over but it seems ok. Glad that's all it was and that i don't have to return it.

7. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you get the same layout of spots across all your negs, then the glass in the scanner needs cleaning. If you see spots in different places for different negs, then the negs are the problem.

8. ann

Photos NOT OK to edit
    scanning is a pain with regard to dust. and i will assume that your knew that the "hairy" things are dust :)

I clean the glass every time i use the scanner and sometimes even between negatives, and even then spot with PS after. I am very picky about my images.

9. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

well that's all sorted... I just need to find out why all my scans are coming out with a magenta tint now!