Whats you guys opinon of lens cleaning solutions?

Lucryster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do they work, or too much chance of them damaging the lens?

I first use the blower to knock any little particles off of the front element, then i use goat hair brush to get any stubborn particles off to avoid dragging anything across the front element. After i have done the two steps above, i either just use the microfiber cloth or i use the Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Wipes and then microfiber cloth.

Though this is what you should be worried about more:

A family member of mine dropped my 70-200vrii in the spring. I still have flashbacks. :nightmare::dread:

Last edited:
I use the Q.ball hand blower>>>ROR residual oil remover>>>Kimwipes tissue. Hands down the
safest and best cleaning products for coated lens on the market ! You can buy at B&H photo.
This is coming from a 15 year experienced nature photographer. I hear Hollywood uses this
on there lens. Good enough for Hollywood good enough for me.

My lens have protective filters on them. I tend to first use a little spit and my shirt. (My shirts are made of lens tissue.) If that does do the job ... it's a 50:50 shot that it cleans it or that it makes it worse ... then I dive into the camera bag and dig out some cleaner and a microfiber cloth. The microfiber cloth does a real good job. I should have my shirts made of of that stuff.

Yeah, I bought a package of Zeiss lens cleaners. You know .. you see them all over the place at Walmart, Meijers, Eyeglass shops, even a camera shop. I haven't used on yet on my camera lens was I was curious if they were any good.
it says it's good for cameras but I'm not really sure exactly what they mean by that --> ZEISS Lens Cleaning Solutions | ZEISS International

I also carry with me a Lens Pen and a Sensor Pen, they work well except for wet/gooey type stuff. Then you have to blow out what you've rounded up.

Meh - soap and water. If it's stubborn crap, I use Lava soap - the pumice will grind it off. :1398:

Really, any of the better quality optical cleaners should be fine.

I only use lens cleaning solution if it is needed, which is not very often.
Before I resort to using lens cleaner I try a huff of breath to put a very light coating of moisture on the lens.

I do not recommend using a microfiber cloth because the cloth can and will hold dust grains that will scratch the coatings on your lens.
Instead use high quality disposal lens tissues.
Never spray lens cleaner directly on the lens so it can't run down to the edge of the lens and get inside.
Spray the lens cleaner on the lens tissue, then gently clean the lens with the damp lens tissue.

Most of the time my hand blower and a natural bristle brush are all that is needed to clean a lens.

As KmH says, lens cleaning solution is not often needed. But there ARE times when it is super-valuable. Like when? Well, in my area, in the spring time, when outdoors there is a TON of airborne sap from trees that are budding out; this is one of the few times of the year when I will use a UV filter. This airborne sap is very tiny microdroplets, but it does NOT respond to the old huff of breath cleaning...that only liquifies it, and it smears all over.

Another time is when something greasy gets on the front element; You will notice that the link above has a residual grease removing type of lens cleaner. Edmund Scientific used to make a similar product. It's not all that often that it happens, buuuut...airborne cooking oil from deep fat frying or frying of food is one of the most common ways that a lens or camera eyepiece can get a LOT of grease on it, fast.

I huff and I puff and I blooooooow with a Rocket Blower.
I'm usually wearing a high tech type of tee shirt and wipe in a circular motion from center outward once I've found a clean spot on the tee.
I also keep a small package of lens tissues in the gear bag.
Wet solutions are a last resort.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back