What's your favorite focal length and why?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by SquarePeg, Jul 28, 2017.

1. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

You made some great points, Derrell. The 180 f2.8 made wonderful images. The issue was always carrying it. Another great Nikkor telephoto was the 105 f2.5. Only five elements. Incredible images (and much easier to carry than the 180). I think it was the most popular of all the Nikkor telephotos.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yeah...I LOVED the 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S Nikkor...bought it when the Ai-S model was first introduced, in the early 1980's; it was my very first ever brand-new Nikkor lens! STILL have it! A wonderful imager, and a fast and easy focuser...one of the lenses Nikon made its fame on was the "one-oh-five two-point-five". It was a super-popular lens among Nikon shooters in the 1970's and 1980's, and easy to carry.

The newer AF and AF-D vrsions of the 180mm ED f/2.8 have an ever-so-slightly skinnier barrel than the older manual focus versions; I have both sitting on my desk, right now! The manual focus lens has a pretty much straight barrel, while the AF lens has a slight taper to it, and feels a little lighter, but for practical purposes, both are about the same size, yet the AF-D version "carries easier", or so it seems to me.

BOTH lenses were/are really good prime lenses, easy to use, sharp, contrasty, and good focusers.

3. The Barbarian

The Barbarian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

As a kid, I first started taking pictures with a brownie. It had a lens that was too wide for my taste; everything looked smaller than I wanted. When I got a decent camera, I preferred longer lenses, and over the decades, I've slowly moved to wider and wider lenses for most things.

I always thought the progression was "tele first, and move to wide later." Guess I'm wrong.