What's your favorite interview question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Not Neve, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Not Neve

Not Neve TPF Noob!

I've had to interview so many people lately that I'm getting really tired of the same old questions. Do you have a favorite interview question?

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I always enjoyed one along the lines of "Describe a major workplace mistake you've made, what you did to correct it, and what you've learned from it."

Its fun to watch people squirm and it gives you a good idea on whether they will be up front with you (i.e. give you a true mistake they made) or try to make themselves look good and possibly hide the truth (i.e. "well, nothing really comes to mind" or "I've been lucky and haven't made any major mistakes").

:D

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A favorite interview question...? No. I hate interviewing. It's more just filling the empty space with the same old questions/crap while you try to get the vibe on a person. I may attempt to make them smile, if I like them, to see if we have the same kind of humor, while obtaining the other necessary info.

If I don't like them, I could try what Chase suggested up there to make them squirm a little. Really, I think Chase has a mean streak. :wink: I'd be terrified to have him interview me.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be...and why?

5. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    snarf!! That's the kind of question that would make me think: I could never work here! :LOL:

Have you asked it, Mike? What's been your best answer???

6. LilCujo

LilCujo the quiet troublemaker! Supporting Member

not sure if this would help or not, my company has like a little sight for managers and it posts some interview questions baised on diffrent topics such as leadership, or team work..here are a couple from the "effective communication" area...

Tell me about a time when listening kept you out of trouble.
    Please give me an example of how you successfully negotiated with someone.

Have you ever had to bargain with a peer over resources when the result was win/lose? What happened?

Have you ever drafted a mission statement or values statement? How did you begin the process?

When do you write and when do you handle something face-to-face? Please give examples.

Tell me about a time you had a resistant audience. What did you do? How frequently do you give presentations to large groups? What’s the difference between successful small and large group presentations

hope that helps some...

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How can someone judge a person on the basis of a couple of minute's cross questioning? She/he could draw a rough piture of the applicant, but the real mettle of that person would not be proved on the interview day. Armed with a fair knowledge of the subject, one just needs to take a confidence build up class in order to manipulate an interview. I do not find it THE best way to hire a person. But then again, we dont have much options to try on!!

Just thoughts!

8. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can't. Why do you think we're bitching about it?? :) Have you ever interviewed anyone? I've been on both sides of the desk, and I appreciate it can be nervewracking to be interviewed. But it's not an easy job, and I don't think anyone here has boasted on the speed of their interviewing process. Nor has anyone said anything about cross-questioning - the object is to try to draw that person out, conversationally, over a fair amount of time (20-30 minutes at least).

Even armed with the best questions, good techniques and a fair, open mind - it's still a crap shoot.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, I've never even been the position to hire someone, but I thought I put in a smart-ass answer anyway. :twisted:

There is always the famed elbow test for hiring women...tell her to put her hands on her shoulders with elbows forward and walk into the wall...if her elbows hit the wall first...she doesn't get the job. :D :wink:

10. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :LOL: yesss! I like that one :lmao:

11. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    mmmhmmm....Kind of like my own little eye test for the men....if they can string together three consecutive sentences without their eyes *dropping down*, they're hired. Usually I'm just happy with 2 consecutive sentences, but they also have to make sense. It can be so tiresome.

12. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit