whats your laptop?

I have a buddy with a Dell Laptop, and Desktop, they are both fairly new. They have BOTH crapped out and Dell customer service isn't really being much help. He says their customer service is among the worst he's dealt with. He just bought a MacBook, and Couldn't be happier!

My Girlfriend, sister, mom, and two close friends all bought MacBook's since they have seen mine in action. It is really a piece of art. Everything about OSX is beautiful, and works flawlessly. I have been on this MacBook for over year, and can the number of time is has frozen on one hand. It is VERY stable and has been problem free for me, and I would recommend it 1,000 times over, as well as any Apple product. There customer service is very pleasing as well.

We are running all higher end HP's and we are very happy.
We custom build all of out PC's, but when it comes to the laptops I only use HP. I like them and I have never had one fail. I have had Dells fail several time and when I made the switch to HP I never looked back.

I have a Dell inspiron 1501, and I will never own a dell ever again. My desktop computer is an HP, and i've had it for several years and LOVE it. So i'm gonna say HP.

I use a Dell Inspiron and the first week I had it the mother board went and I had to send it back to have it fixed. Sucked. But since then it's been great.

I want a mac badly.

I was never really happy with my Inspirion, but love my Dell Latitude 830

I run Mac's. I converted to OSX about 3 years ago after they jumped to Intel processors (big bonus!). Before that I was a Windows guy. Vista was the last nail in the coffin of Windows machines for me though. It's about as bad as Windows 3.0 was back in the 1990's.

I still run Windows, in a window. When it bombs it just kills that virtual instance and if it becomes problematic, as only Windows can, I just roll it back to the last stable state. I do a lot of testing (software QA) and that's why I'm constantly killing instances. But I've learned over the years that Windows generally sucks. The file system is archaic and the memory handling is crude at best. Don't even get me started on Internet Explorer...

For most things, aside from the registry issues, Windows is fine for the average non-technical PC user.

For me, I'm content with Mac and OSX in its current state or until something better comes along.

I prefer to have both a laptop and desktop. Spend the money on a desktop and just figure in a mid-to-low end laptop for on location preview, file management, and light editing.. basic stuff. Place your funds on a well equipped desktop for your final edit, process, and archive. More options for performance, more bang for the buck, storage, expandability, and (VERY IMPORTANT) a better display (video card and monitor). Don't forget about backups.

As for what O/S, either windows or mac will work. Graphic applications are very memory bound. You will want to max out memory before spending money on faster processors.

As for Dell, I cannot make up my mind about them. I have friends and family that have had HORRIBLE experiences with them. My mother-in-law is up to the point of threatening lawsuit and discontinuing contracts with them form a business standpoint ( IT for the company she works for falls under her responsibility). On the other hand, I heard numerous people who swear by them.

Oh well.. I'm an Apple user so it doesn't really matter to me. I have a fully equipped PowerMac G5 at home and recently acquired an MSI netbook for portability. If you have the funds, you can't go wrong with a MacBook Pro. Just fill up on memory.

btw... I don't believe Celerons are RISC processors.

In my opinion, this 100%. Desktops are much more powerful than laptops and also much more upgradeable, and you can get much better screens for photographic purposes.

If you had to stick with a laptop though, if my only concern was photography then I would go with a 17" MacBook Pro (over the 15 inch version) just because of the screen resolution. If Macs are out, then go with Lenovo.

You might want to consider a Tablet PC, where you can draw and do Photoshop work right on the screen. However the performance and hard drive space is usually pitiful, as is sometimes the screen itself for color accuracy.

I havce a new HP Pavillion DV7, and it's a beast. Awesome, 17" screen, 6 gigs RAM, 500 gig hard drive, card slot, Core Duo 2... it's a great laptop, I love it.

How are the macbook's screens? I haven't done much research on the Wintel laptop side yet, but the ones I've seen have had lousy LCD's .. if you change your angle of view, the brightness and colour seems to change, and they look a bit dark. I think this would be a deal breaker if your primarily into photo editing.

The MacBook LCD screens are AMAZING. Do you have an Apple store near you? If so, you should swing in and check out their offerings.

HP dv4 - it does the trick and was pretty cheap. Only problem is a 2 hour battery.

I prefer doing all photo editing and such on my desktop, which is more than capable. For on the go shooting, backing up photos and blogging, I have an Asus 1000HA, very cheap and does all I need it to. Netbooks are the way to go, I even set it up for tethered shooting.

Most reactions

Back