What's your procedure?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tmartin2347, Apr 3, 2010.

1. tmartin2347

tmartin2347 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    After a day of photography, what is your procedure once you have uploaded all photos on your computer? As far as which ones to keep and so on, and editing. What's your go go editing software? All I have is what came with my Canon camera, and if I use my photoshop.com account or photobucket.com account.

2. newb

newb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The only deleting I do is usually in camera, and its shots that are underexposed, too blurry, or just bad all around. The rest I pick through and edit with GIMP as I have ideas for em. The ones I dont get too, just hang out since Ive got enough storage space to keep em around.

3. tmartin2347

tmartin2347 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

What is this GIMP I've seen people talk about on here?

I also for the first time took photos using the RAW/Large photo setting and this was my first time using RAW image taking, so I have a lot to learn.

4. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Delete all the bad ones(which is usually alot)! I use cs3 , Im still learing raw so I have not found my workflow for raw. But for jpeg I duplicate image, then adjust - exposure, levels , curves, hue saturation, dodge and burn, reduce noise , sharpen , sharpen more specific areas, and then flatten and save. I dont always use all of those adjustmens and somtimes I use other tools. BUt you get the idea!

edit: I use a different layer or mask for each adjustment.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    www.GIMP.org

GIMP is an open source image editing application. It is freeware.

It has some of the same capabilities as Adobe Photoshop. It has some rather notable limitations. The biggest is: it can only edit in an 8-bit color depth. GIMP also doesn't have it's own RAW converter. Many GIMP users download UFRaw UFRaw - Home

Adobe Photoshop Elements ($80) is also limited to 8-bit color depth editing.

To edit your beach photo I used Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended ($999 retail), though I didn't use any of the Extended features which are basically for 3-D images.

Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard for image editing. www.adobe.com

Another company, Corel, also make a good image editing application called Paint Shop Pro or PSP ($90). Photo Editing Software ? Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My workflow time decreased a ton when I tried Lightroom. It is made by Adobe. It doesn't have the layers, cloning, etc like photoshop, but for going through a lot of photos and doing 95% of the adjustments I need it is great. They currently have a beta version which is free for a couple more months I think.

7. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately with my point and shoots I would leave them in the camera, download them, take more shots and download them again into another folder; eventually they got deleted from the camera and I have multiple photos on my computer. I'm hoping that it won't be the same with this camera!

As far as where to store them, photobucket and Kodak for online but I think Kodak needs you to purchase photos from them every so often. I would just keep them on the computer, a 1 TB external hard drive is about $100 these days.

As far as photo manipulation software, I'ved used the OEM stuff that came with point and shoots, I loaded the Nikon software onto my computer, have used Google's Picasa, Photoscape and now trying Gimp. For the easy stuff like red eye reduction, cropping and whatever else all of the previous stuff I've used is pretty good. I am trying to learn Gimp to see if it's worth learning "harder" software and what benefits I will get out of it. I downloaded the RAW plugin to get the Nikon NEF files and it seems to work.

Funny thing about all this software is that none of it, even the store bought stuff has a wow factor from the end userswith the exception of Photoshop CS.

8. boogschd

boogschd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    shoot - upload to pc - review - edit what needs editing - delete what needs deleting - upload to flickr.com &/or multiply.com

play around with some of the shots
    upload to flickr.com &/or multiply.com

:mrgreen:

9. mdtusz

mdtusz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Shoot, upload to aperture, sort in aperture, adjust and edit in aperture, serious edit in photoshop if required but still saved as a copy of the original in aperture, export out of aperture when the time to send/print/burn comes.

I'm telling ya, it is wayy better than LR.

10. Kansasdude

Kansasdude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've always shot at maximum resolution, fine jpg on P&S or Raw on DSLR. The only photos I discard are the ones where I've made an unrecoverable error in focusing, framing or exposure. Those I discard immediately and all others are saved to my HD to be adjusted and resized for display with the best posted to my online gallery. Eventually the original photos are archived to DVD for safe keeping.

As far as manipulating the photos, I'm currently using Lightroom for most of the basic adjustments, and Paint Shop Pro for the few times I need more substantial adjustments.

11. Barbiepicqueen

Barbiepicqueen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First I upload my pics from my camera, then I usually take them to Xara Extreme or Corel PSP for editing and enhancing, BTW you can get Picassa for free , its an editing enhancing program.powered by Google,I use that too, its free and works great. As far as where I keep most of my pics in Webshots and and Tiny pic.

12. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I download them, put my gear away and go down to the pub to wind down and forget about them unless the are for a magazine