When all you had was your mobile...

plugsnpixels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I’ve got a DSLR in a camera bag in the closet and a non-DSLR superzoom camera in my work bag which would also have to be dug out, but my iPhone is always nearby at home or on my hip when I go out. So chances are any photo I take on the fly will be with the mobile.

I usually end up shooting sunsets, general scenics, architecture or events. Here are a few examples of my iPhone photos with a bit of post-processing to make them less crappy and more interesting, I think… Feel free to add yours with a bit of a story behind them.

iphonearchitecture.jpg

iphonebottlelight.jpg

iphonerepent.jpg

iphonesunset.jpg

iphonewaterside.jpg

A bit too processed for my likes, but ya gotta please yourself.

Went to San Diego and took the DSLR. Unfortunately, the battery was in the charger in Maryland. The phone went with me on the side trip to Oceanside.

20160630_132652.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Thanks snowbear, purposely over-processed since straight shots bore me (when I was a photojournalist I faithfully reproduced reality, but I prefer the artistic interpretation now).

PS: Sorry about your battery-!

Thanks laverne!

Now snowbear may not like this, ha, but I was heading out for groceries today, no DSLR, only the iPhone. Mountains were doing their thing again after a rain.

I pulled over, stood on my toes with the phone over my head. This is all I got. Only artsy can save it... Maybe.

mtsnew1.jpg
mtsnew2.jpg

It's all good. And I'm sure you could reproduce that last one with a brush; it's not as hard as you'd think.

There was a time when Polaroid's sub 2 megapixel digital camera was the hot new trendy tool for digital content creators who had $1,995 to spend. Had today's digital smartphone cameras been available back then they would have been most likely 3- to $5,000 "Digital Imaging Systems."

Probably true, snowbear ;-)

Derrel, your price quotes remind me of what computers used to cost, though some still do. I wouldn't be shocked, given (for example) Apple's favoritism of their iPhone line over their Macs that one day mobile devices will become the centerpiece of even our home digital systems. Plug in some peripherals and off we go.

I am sitting at my desk now with a 24" ViewSonic monitor and wireless keyboard attached to a MacBook Air; the Air is basically an afterthought in terms of the space it takes up. It literally fits in a yellow envelope. Given some further miniaturization and evolution of components, the phone might be all we need for our computing needs. Though cameras are still another story...

MacWorld 1999, Editor's Chocie awards, excerpt:

"Digital Camera

WINNER: The Coolpix 950 ($999; http://www.nikonusa.com, 800/526-4566), from Nikon, tops our list when it comes to overall features and price. Using a 2.11 million-pixel CCD, this camera effortlessly delivers impressive, detailed images. Its accurate autofocus, 8MB of default memory, and high-resolution 2-inch LCD display will satisfy most consumers. And professionals will find it an excellent alternative to more-expensive high-end digital cameras.

RUNNERS-UP: For more-advanced users, the versatile Olympus C-2500L SLR ($1,499; http://www.olympus.com, 800/622-6372) features a 2.5 million-pixel CCD, manual and autoexposure options, and no waiting between shots. It also accepts various lenses, for the perfect shot. Kodak's megapixelDC265 ($899; http://www.kodak.com, 800/235-6325) provides great color accuracy, burst capture, and USB support."

My first experience with digital photography was in 1992, when the university where I worked had a Sony ProMavica. I shot campus scenics, etc. as well as the student headshots for the pictorial. Prior to that, I was shooting the mugs on film and hand-processing them...

pictorial.jpg

I am of the age that if all I had was a mobile it looked like this..................

big.jpg

Pretty useless for taking pictures. That's what a camera is for.

plugsnpixels7 said:
SNIP>>> a few examples of my iPhone photos with a bit of post-processing to make them less crappy and more interesting, I think… Feel free to add yours with a bit of a story behind them.

iPhone 4. f/2.8 lens, ISO range 80 to 1600, a bit of editing on most.
IMG_9712 copy_iPhone4 copy.jpg

Saw this when the brand new Camaros hit the streets. Shot on original square IG.

IMG_4369 copy_iPhone4 copy.jpg

First day of operation of a brand-spanking-new fast food restaurant near me.
IMG_5678 copy_iPhone4 copy.jpg

My very, very first Instagram photo. New Geek Eyeware brand eyeglasses, new mouse pad sheet I printed.

IMG_6447 copy_Proof.jpg

Early Instagram border effect they used to have. One of two back doors of a delivery truck, riffing on the pop-culture expression "ight!"

IMG_9393 copy_Proof.jpg

Brand new library, right in my neighborhood! I had to snap a pic of the new Returns system. Old square-format IG software,

No, but Otis Campbell did. It was cell #2. The one Aunt Bee fixed up real nice.

Last edited:
A bit too processed for my likes, but ya gotta please yourself.

Went to San Diego and took the DSLR. Unfortunately, the battery was in the charger in Maryland. The phone went with me on the side trip to Oceanside.

20160630_132652.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

I been in that situation before, only to have no other camera with me, not even a smartphone then.

I went to Boston and used my DSLR for two full 8 hour days walking around the city taking photos and videos on one full charge and plugged it to charge that night at the hotel and to wake up in morning LATE to find out that the outlet was only active when the light switch was on and had to leave quick because I wanted to stop at a seaside for some nice landscapes and only managed to fire off 2 shots before the battery said nope, can't discharge anymore..goodbye. Lesson learned!

Mine? Thanks Miturie!

I also like Derrel's Carl's Jr. pic. Just needs a wee bit of cropping left and bottom.

Most reactions

Back