When and how did you get bit?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm curious to hear about everyone's photographic beginnings. How old were you when you decided that photography was your passion? What was THE moment when you were hooked? Was it a photo you saw or a photo you took or a course at school?

For me, it started about 9 years ago when I bought a roll of b&w film for my old canon p&s. I had seen a b&w shot of a child running in the park and I clumsily recreated it with my daughter. It came out awful but the other photos I took that day were better. A few were wonderful. I still have them framed on my wall. They are technically poor, I know now, but there is just something about them that I love. That following Christmas my then husband gave me a D60 kit and I was hooked for good. Working full time and being a single parent quickly put a dent in any hobby time. Finally, the past year or two I have been able to put some time into it and I am really enjoying learning.

When? Aug 12, 1976.

How? Took a photo of three red leaves in the grass at Glacier National Park with my dad's Polaroid SX-70.

I know this because I still have it.

FirstPhotoSpark.jpg

I took a class in high school and another one in college as a prerequisite for my art degree. At first it was just for making beautiful photographs. When I have my own family, it slowly transitioned into capturing priceless memories.

I feel like I've posted this on here a few times before. I hate to sound repetitive, but since you asked.....

My dad died suddenly when I was 8. It was realized when selecting photos for the memorial service that the most recent picture of him was several years old and the most recent family photo was even older. Shortly after that I made it a "mission" to document life. I started collecting disposable cameras, my friends and I would play dress up and hang ugly sheets from my closet doors to use as backdrops. I have boxes of pictures I took of anything and everything during those years.

I got my first slr when they let me take photography as a freshman (they usually reserved the spots for sophomore's and up, but had a free space in the class) I took so many photo credits the teacher had to call it "independent study" and fill out special forms to make it count for credit. It was then I really fell in love with photography as a form of catharsis. I actually preferred the devoloping/printing process because I was the only one in the darkroom most days and it was so peaceful in there. My favorite enlarger was right by the door and the only one branded "lucky" for some reason no one else liked it. If I ever setup a darkroom in the house, I'll be looking for that lucky enlarger!!

I suppose it's only recently I am truly appricating it as an form of art .

Last edited:
Summer of 1969, when a neighbor showed me his TLR Rolleiflex and explained the basics of focusing, aperture, DOF, and shutter speed. Up until then, the only cameras I'd ever seen in real life were point and shoot style cameras that we and other related families had, and I didn't know or care about any other kinds.

The moment I looked down into that pop-up hood at the focusing screen while hearing him explain how it works though, I was instantly hooked forever.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

October 1969, my Dad took me to the sidelines of a pro football game, handed me a Nikon a single roll of film and told me not to waste it. I didn't, I'm still shooting on the same sidelines, working for my third pro team.

October 1969, my Dad took me to the sidelines of a pro football game, handed me a Nikon a single roll of film and told me not to waste it. I didn't, I'm still shooting on the same sidelines, working for my third pro team.

Be sure to let us all know when you finish that roll.
Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif

My sons and I ride and race motocross. I wanted nice photos of us, so I bought the wife a rebel. Well, needless to say I took it over and quickly out grew it. Some of the guys I ride with are motocross magazine photographers. Needless to say, comparing my photos to theirs stirred up some interest. lol.

My wife is VERY happy that I got into photography. According to her my hobby is "Collecting hobbies."

Nothing specific sparked my interest. I remember being mesmerized by watching Polaroids develop when I was a kid. I got my own 35mm point and shoot for high school graduation and played around with it in college. It was fine for snaps but I got very frustrated with it when I tried doing anything else with it. Decided it was time for a real camera and when I graduated, I bought myself the K1000 with a Takumar 28-80mm macro lens and a flash. I have no idea what happened to that flash. It broke at some point but I don't remember when and I never replaced it.

I took that camera with me everywhere. I got serious enough to buy a few books, but then I was busy doing other stuff and didn't delve as far into it as I had originally intended. I always took pictures, though. About four years ago, I can't even tell you what it was, but I just found myself drawn back into photography in a more serious way. I just felt like it was time to finally do the things I originally wanted to do - develop my own film, print, shoot with a TLR...That's when the GAS started :boggled: I still have and use the K1000 - that thing is going to the grave with me - but I've since collected, um, *coughcough* a few more *coughtwentysevencough* cameras...

About two years ago, I remembered my fascination with those Polaroids and I revived my father's Land Camera and fell in love with instant film.

When? Aug 12, 1976.

How? Took a photo of three red leaves in the grass at Glacier National Park with my dad's Polaroid SX-70.

I know this because I still have it.

FirstPhotoSpark.jpg

Sparky, I adore this picture!

27!!! oh my goodness. Now that's a passion!

27!!! oh my goodness. Now that's a passion!

In my defense, I didn't buy them all :happyblush: A few of them were gifts, some were offered quite generously (from some of our very own TPFers even!) for the cost of shipping or at a reduced rate, and the rest were bought cheaply since film cameras are, well, cheap these days. And I made the pinhole myself! ;) And though there's overlap in the SLR kits I have, for the most part, they're all different sorts of cameras that fit different styles I like to play with. And because film gear is so accessible now, I'm able to shoot with equipment I never would have been able to afford had I been shooting when they were new, so it's exciting to try different cameras to see what they can do.

Most reactions

Back