When are there typically sales?

Well Christmas time, boxing day and black Friday are times when you will get nice deals but that doesn't mean you WILL get a deal on a Nikon D3400 and even if you will it might not be better then this one, I have learned if you want to get a camera or camera equipment just get it and don't wait.
I don't know this seller but this deal and this package seems like a pretty fair deal.

Bundles are typically chock full of cheap crap. The camera and lenses are the same as all the others for sale, but the tripod, cases, filters, cleaning kits etc are just overpriced, useless junk.

About the only worthwhile item would be a memory card, which you would need anyway. But better cards can always be had.

My advice is to skip the "$$$$s value" hype and deal directly with a proper photo store with a knowledgeable sales staff that can give you honest answers.

Just curious if there is a trend of cameras going on sale around black Friday or even Christmas?
Yes, there are usually more sales at this time of year, but as 480Sparky has cautioned, watch out for the "100-piece deals". When comparing deals, concentrate on only the camera body and lenses, and not the extras. The extras are intended to entice the beginners into spending more money. Later, you can purchase quality accessories as you see the need.

Keep a log of exact specifications you are considering. Bear in mind that some lenses come with or without vibration reduction (VR), and the VR models cost more, so make sure you're comparing the cost of the exact same lens.

Watch out also for "gray market" merchandise, particularly if you are hesitant about warranty coverage. Those deals will be less expensive, but what you're not paying for is the US warranty, which could end up being a good thing to have.

Have fun shopping!

That is the same price as on sale at Best Buy so not really any big warehouse club savings going on... but you do get an extra factory battery, 2 year warranty instead of 1 and the bag (useful for storage but not much else). If you've already decided on the 3400 as your first dslr and you want both of the lenses, I don't think it's a bad deal. The 18-55 VR is a decent starter lens. The 70-300 is really not going to meet your needs after a time.

That being said, I highly recommend you consider buying used/refurbished from a reputable online dealer like Adorama, Cameta, B&H etc. It's an expensive hobby and your needs/focus usually change over time so saving money where you can is important. I'm not familiar with the 3300 vs. 3400 specs but if there is no big improvement, the 3300 is probably the better deal.

To answer your original question - I was camera body shopping last year and I did find sales in November which in turn drove down the used/refurb prices and I got a sweet deal from Cameta via Newegg. I've also gotten Black Friday deals on SD cards and software. I usually check fatwallet.com for deals before I buy anything.

OP, I hate to tell you, but if you are looking for a sale to buy a camera you have picked the wrong hobby. If no one has told you this is an expensive hobby to get into. While it is always good to get a good deal and save a few dollars on a purchase you need to be prepared for the future. Future needs in lenses etc. may not coincide with a sale going on.

I was told that May is normally time to buy as manufacturers either lower pricing or have sales to get ready for new models to be released.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back