When buying a dslr for the first time...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cbryk0718, Nov 15, 2007.

1. cbryk0718

cbryk0718 TPF Noob!

should I stay away from "body only"? Do you have to buy additional parts to use it? If I can only afford a ''body only" for now should I go ahead and buy one and when I can afford more, buy more?

2. doobs

doobs TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you buy body only you'll need to buy a lens as well. If you get the kit, you'll have a cheap lens to start with.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If the "Body Only" is from a reputable dealer, then you will be OK. Some cameras, the D40 for example, are not sold in the US as body only... if you see it advertised that way, it is an import that does not have a USA warranty with it.

Personally, I would not buy a camera without a manufacturer's warranty (I have sent several in for service over the years)... I don't know if Canon sells USA warranty stuff body only in their XT line or not, a Canon person could help you out on that. Pentax, Sony, etc. I don't know about either, but people here do.

I would advise you to stick to a reputable dealer selling only USA warranties. Online, it is hard to beat B&H for quality and service. There is a link you can use at the top of this page to check them out.

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    "Body only" just means without the lens. The "kit" lens as in the one that often comes on the camera...often a short zoom is usually less than super quality. If money is tight, pick up a 50mm f 1.8 that has an excellent reputation for a reasonable price and then when you have sufficient funds purchase a high quality wide angle or telephoto zoom depending on the type of photography you like.

skieur

5. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Assuming that the person is buying a Canon, this is sound advice.

The 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens will not autofocus on a D40/D40x, and autofocus is a feature that most people want in a first DSLR.

I don't know about the other brands of cameras (other than they will all autofocus with their 50ish mm primes).

6. cbryk0718

cbryk0718 TPF Noob!

I guess I should mention that I've been looking on used camera sites because I can't afford very much... So you're saying if I buy a body that I can't use it unless I buy a lens as well?

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    exactly, no lens, no image... that is a basic principle in standard photography.

unless you want to venture into pinhole photography and punch a hole into the cap that seals the lens mount ;)

8. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Be very careful on used camera sites you dont really know the condition of the camera and may end up buying a camera that is on its last legs. Also do not buy from any of those sites that advertise DSLRs for ridiculously low prices, I've heard many bad stories about those. Its best to go with a reputable dealer like B&H, adorama, Hunts, Calumet, or any brick and mortar store in your area you trust.

9. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i dont know, but i would assume that body only means body only and they it will not come with a memmory card, which means if you buy a body only camera, you would need a lens and a memmory card to take any pictures