When did you go PRO?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Kerri Rae, May 1, 2007.

1. Kerri Rae

Kerri Rae TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm just getting serious into digital photography and was hoping some of you could share your experiences into how you ended up as a professional photographer. Was it a serious hobby and you never planned on going pro? Did you always know you wanted to do this for money? Did you just start taking small jobs and ended up getting enough work? Is photography something you are only able to do part time? Did you go to school for this? Did you start off as a photographer' assistant?

Thanks for sharing your story!

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went pro on my way out of the womb.

3. lasershot

lasershot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol, nice one...

I myself am not pro yet because I'm just starting out but I plan on going pro when I sell 2 prints lol.

4. PicturePerfect1

PicturePerfect1 TPF Noob!

I am also not pro yet... but i am opening a studio in my home in the next month and have been running a part-time portrait business for a year. I am a sophomore in college and am getting a degree in portrait photography ... I would have to agree with the first comment made... I was born ready to be a professional in the field and have never doubted it... :)

5. CBRfanatic

CBRfanatic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have recently become serious with it as well after showing friends, family, and co-workers my shots and most of them wanting to buy multiple prints. Im opening my own design studio soon as well. Ill consider myself fully professional when photography is my sole bread winner and im hosting workshops etc.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

The first time someone paid me for a photograph.

7. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Max.. why am I not surprised... :) Damn Genius!

8. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I actually never thought I was going to be a photographer even though I was always really into taking pictures and scrapbooking with my Mom as a kid. Even in high school they had a photography class and I was always more interested in taking drawing and painting classes. But, I knew that I wanted to be an art major in college and I didn't think I could really make a living trying to sell paintings and drawings so I decided to try a photography course to see if I liked it. (So naive of me to just assume that it would be so much easier to make a living as a photographer:lol: ) And, I really did so I ended up being an art major with an emphasis in Photography. It wasn't until after college that I really got into portraiture though and now that's what interests me the most.
    After college, I nannied for a little bit, but was feeling like I really wanted to use my art degree so I took the plunge, quit my nanny job and started working on my photo biz. It's been rough, but I definitely don't regret it. I LOVE what I do for work. I feel so lucky that I get to do something I'm passionate about for my profession. :)

What's really nice about it is that I feel challenged all the time to take better and better photographs and I can see myself improving which makes me feel really proud, which is always a nice feeling.

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I became a photographer to **** off my mom. Turns out I should have listened to her and gone to law school instead.

Seriously. My path was clear from day one. I earned a B.A in photography and worked my way up the ranks. Photography has always been my life. I considered my self a professional as soon as I started getting editorial work. I dream of one day kissing the commercial world good bye, but I do not see it happening any time soon. If ever. Besides commercial is and can be slightly fun.

Love & Bass

10. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went pro when the workload became too much to keep a day job and keep up with my photography. It was a pay cut at first, but with hard work, I make a very nice living now.

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Probably before most of you were born.

skieur

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went to tech school and the teacher convinced me to make the plunge first thing out. "Since you are never going to be any kind of artist, you might as well be a studio hack," those were her words. That was in 1969 . I have banged around at it ever since. Hardly ever had a real job, as my dad would have said.

I doubt anyone has been a professional photographer longer than I have been on this earth. Im 62 this month. I can sympathise with the first couple of years struggle. But you know what? The struggle is the most fun.