when do I start charging?

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm still pretty new to photography and I've only had a dslr since summer. My equipment is very limited; I don't even own a flash. Some friends think that I should start charging for photoshoots to fund this spendy hobby of mine but I don't feel that my photos are up to par. How do I know when I'm good enough to start charging?

Here are a few shots from my only photoshoot. It was unformal and free. My friend just wanted some family photos for Christmas cards. Any advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

433283187_HuMBW-M.jpg

433286340_EhkaT-M.jpg

433286670_qmkj7-L.jpg

433284268_uUeLc-M.jpg

433283755_AzhwA-M.jpg

Last edited:
You'll need more time behind the camera. Remember, they think you should start charging now, but when you are paid to do something the expectations are light years beyond what they expect for a free one.

When you are confident enough in yourself & your work that you don't have to ask. This is not meant to be condescending. If you're charging for your services, you need to have the presence, the product, and self confidence so that people feel they're getting what they're paying for.

I have been shooting over a year and have quite a bit of equipment (body, professional lenses, strobe, softbox, speedlight, etc). I have just begun to ask for donations to be made to my favorite charity, but it is options. It has gotten me even more work because there are some people who really feel uncomfortable taking your talent and skill for granted. I guess you have to do whats right for you, but I think it is when you can deliver every time without great reservation.

I have just begun to ask for donations to be made to my favorite charity, but it is options. It has gotten me even more work because there are some people who really feel uncomfortable taking your talent and skill for granted.

That sounds like a good place to start. My friend, whos family I photographed, has been showing the shots to all her friends at work. They are asking her how much I charge because they want me to provide the same service. After some people at a recent Thanksgiving party saw the photos I took of them in my gallery, they are asking about setting up family photoshoots with me as well.

I know that I am not even close to being ready for wedding photography; skill or equipment wise. I just want to offset the cost of this hobby. Perhaps shooting couples, birthday parties, amateur models, family photos, etc. I think the donation idea is great. Thanks Eyeye

You seem to have a really great natural eye for posing and shooting people. You should definitely get some more experience shooting under your belt before charging, as well as investing in some more equipment. At least a nice portrait lens and external flash, like a Canon Speedlight. Also, like said before, you need to have the confidence not to ask. You'll know when you are ready...it's just one of those things. Oh and also, very important in my opinion, KNOW your camera. Even if you shoot in Aperture priority or even auto, KNOW how to shoot in manual. You can't get into a situation where you have to be "on" and not know how to deal with any given lighting situation.

PS: In pic #2, watch out cutting off limbs at the joints (ie ankles, wrists and knees!) :)

EDIT: Per your last post (about people asking how much you charge), use these opportunities to gain both experience AND future clients!!

Right. Watch out cutting off at the joint. Like...watch out! Don't do it! ;)

yeah, i see where i split the subject's arm. not exactly cut at the joint but not too far from it either. that was a rough spot to shoot in; rugged terrain and bright background. also, i actually had my back against a post of a wooden bridge. =p

You know, if people are willing to pay you for your work, more power to you! I say go for it! If you're not sure if you should charge, maybe allow them to pay you what it's worth to them. This way, you are getting something for your time, effort and cost of equipment, and they don't feel like they get fleeced. It's a win-win this way. When you get to a point that you feel that your work is worth more than you are making- consistently- then get some pricing together and charge accordingly.

There is no answer to this tired question. Tell us why you think people should pay for your services. Getting paid for your photography is not all that it is cracked up to be. If you have a day job just shoot for fun and call it good. If you are looking for some extra money get a second job at Starbucks.

Those are the standard and all too true responses. If you are interested in the field of photography think about raising the bar on your creativity. Get the gear you need to create your vision. When your work is really strong then YOU will know when to charge. This is a question only YOU can answer. Set some goals and meet them. Take your time and think about it.

Love & Bass

Last edited:

Now. Just don't get ahead of yourself. Don't expect to get the big bucks.

If nothing else, consider you're renting out your equipment for the session, and... it comes with pickup and delivery, and an operator.

But Evil Eagle is right.... everybody LOVES your work when it's free, but the second you start charging for your work, EVERYBODY is a critic.

You need to develop your posing and lighting knowledge. Read some books, attend some seminars. Learn how to run a session. This family is a peach... all good looking with a good sense of how to dress for photography. Will you know what to do with regular, frumpy people with no taste? They won't all be as easy as this one.

-Pete

yeah, i see where i split the subject's arm. not exactly cut at the joint but not too far from it either. that was a rough spot to shoot in; rugged terrain and bright background. also, i actually had my back against a post of a wooden bridge. =p

Actually I was talking about where you cut at the ankles in pic 2. The split of the arm isn't a huge deal. Not as distracting as a joint cut.

Actually I was talking about where you cut at the ankles in pic 2.

ahh, ok. my bad. i didn't even notice i did that. i remember this shot. i was very concerned with getting their faces at a good viewable size and didn't realize i was cutting some of their feet off, LoL. i really hate cropping because i'm so afraid of wasting pixels. thanks for pointing that out to me. =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back