When do you no to clean your sensor and how?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by AnthonyCorbo, Dec 14, 2008.

1. AnthonyCorbo

AnthonyCorbo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When should clean your sensor , 1 year, 10 years? and how do you clean it and with what?

Noob friendly please:mrgreen:

2. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    When it gets dirty. You will know when that is as the dust will show up in your photos.

I always keep a Rocketball around and use it to blow dust from the back of the lens before I mount it. I also blow out the camera before I mount the lens. It's not cleaning the sensor, just keeping the inside of the body cleaner so less stuff can get to the sensor when the shutter opens.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    you clean it when it needs cleaning - not before ;)

You can tell it needs cleaning when you get dustspots on your photos - they appear as noticable spots on photos (not like noise) and are usually shown up a lot more when you use a smaller aperture (bigger f number),
    Thus its possible to have quite a bit of dust on the sensor and still not need to clean the lens if your shooting wide open- however if your shooting landscapes or macro and use large f numbers (like f13) then you will notice them in your photos sooner.
    You can even keep shooting for a good while with them as they are easy to clone out- but its something you don't want to have to do so once they start being a pain its time to clean

For cleaning google DSLR sensor cleaning - there are loads of guides and they all say mostly the same things.
    Importantly though NEVER use compessed air to clean the sensor - nor blow into it. Always use something like a Giottos Rocket Air blower and puff it a few times before using it to clean (helps remove and dust or particles inside the blower).
    Blow cleans can remove a lot of dust from a sensor and are quite simple to do and preferable to a wipe clean where you have to show some care.
    A good tip is to mount your camera on a tripod so that you can have both hands free to clean instead of having to hold the camera up with one

4. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To check mine I shoot the blue sky at f/22 and, look at the photo. You will have to set the lens focusing to manual to shoot on some or, most cameras. I use the Giotto Rocket myself to blow dust out.

5. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Will bounced compressed air work?

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like others - when I start to notice a dust problem, I clean it.
    I don't do "dust check pictures", I just wait till it shows up in normal everyday photos.

When it needs cleaning, I do a wet clean. Search around here for how to clean it - there are tons of threads.

7. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never use compressed air. It usually isnt that clean.

8. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO................. Did I mention NO!!!!

Do not use compressed air to clean a sensor, well not unless you are looking to possibly replace a sensor. Ever notice that a can of compressed air gets cold when you use it. That's not the air, that the propellant. Some propellants can be bad news for sensors and interior workings. They do not play nicely together. The high pressure air flow can also damage sensitive, small parts. Kind of like the difference between a stiff breeze and Hurricane Katrina. Use a Rocket Blower, not compressed air.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I recall that someone once broke their sensor by using compresed air - they froze the sensor! Also if you want proof that its not the best to clean with take a can of compessed air, a black fabric that you don't need and then spray the air onto the fabric. Chances are you will see a white mark where the air hit - not the best for cleaning ;)

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As mentioned, that is a BAD idea.

Compressed air contains cleaners or moisture or contaminants that will gum up your sensor. We had a guy in our club complaining at how bad his camera took pictures. He said that he was meticulous about keeping it clean etc... then he told us how, and we all cracked up. A professional cleaning system and 5 minutes later it was like someone had handed him a new camera. We then all made him swear to never use compressed air cleaners again... lol.

DON'T do it.

11. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Set to cleaning mode, turn upside down, blow gently into camera. If you have a blower bulb use that instead. Try not to spit.

If there is still dust visible in the photos, then and only ever then clean your sensor. Even then I suggest sending it in somewhere to be cleaned. Even the tiniest smudge mark will show up. Cleaning the sensor involving something that actually touches is very very delicate.

12. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have any stubborn dust you might want to look into the visible dust products.
    http://www.visibledust.com/

I have been using the Arctic Butterfly 724 and I am very happy with it.
    It does seem a bit expensive but when you consider the cost for sending your camera is so high, around $100. It is worth it.