when does film expire?

Matt, you have a cold box with sharp corners in your pants. Yikes, be careful! :lol::lol::lol:

I recently had some prints turn out with purple people and the consensus seemed to be that this may have been caused by old colour print film. Is there any particular trick to freezing it, or just put it in a baggy (or box?) and then put it straight into the deep freeze?

My experience with "legacy" film has been that it turns yellow and green. (or maybe loses the reds?) Could be it depends on the brand and type. Could be that it had heat damage, which will give it yellow highlights. I'd assume age and heat would produce the same flaws, but I can't swear that it's fact.

When I collected cameras, I used to try to find old film and shoot a roll. Some of this stuff (all B&W by the way) was pretty exotic numbers. 818 comes to mind. I could roll 120 onto a 620 spool. Anyway... mostly it lost speed and contrast, but I did get pictures.

The supply of old obsolete film sizes found at rummage sales has dried up. I still find 25b flash bulbs now and then. Get me a good K battery and I'd be happy.

The easy way to look at freezing film, which I've done, and I have some 20 year old film that's been sitting in the back of the frig. next to the pickles, is that you first, keep it in the original sealed foil package (unless it's now plastic?) and let it warm up overnight. Don't forget that heat isn't the only enemy, air will ruin film also.

Even at 40 degrees the film doesn't seem to age like it would at room Temp.

Most reactions

Back