When Geese Attack

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Ok maybe they weren't exactly attacking but the title was too good to pass up. i've seen some geese (mostly Canadians) that will attack if you get too close but I was able to set up and just wait for them to come to me. Constructive criticism is really appreciated. I haven't done any post processing yet. Click below for the full size picture.

$November 06 024 copy.jpg

$November 06 022 copy.jpg

I'm not sure why my attached images are so much smaller that the one's I pull from my website but it's worth clicking on them. Trust me. I got up real close to these buggers before they decided they'd had enough of me. </shameless plug>

Unfortunately these pix are out of focus. And the colors are too saturated, imo.

You're looking at the full size picture I presume. I haven't done anything in Photoshop so how did the colors get too saturated? Did I have the wrong f stop or was the shutter open too long. Sorry I don't have any exif data as I shoot film. As for the focus, well maybe I'm just too much of a noob to see it. Could you be more specific? Thanks

Dylan said:
I haven't done anything in Photoshop so how did the colors get too saturated? Did I have the wrong f stop or was the shutter open too long.
If you were shooting digital I'd guess it was a setting in your camera. But since you shoot film I don't know how it got too saturated. Could be the film. Velvia, e.g., is a very saturated film. It could also be caused by the film stock you're using being too old.
As for the focus, well maybe I'm just too much of a noob to see it. Could you be more specific?
What do you mean "Could you be more specific"? The geese are unsharp. That is what I see. Don't you?

I was using Fuji ISO 100. It's not the Provia and it is still within the expiration date. Go figure. I think it looks ok so just chalk it up to personal preferance. When I enlarged the picture the geese do appear out of focus. I guess I was thinking that they weren't obviously blurry so they must be in focus. Well thanks for your input anyway.

Of the two, I quite like the first, the "attack" photo, and I like your POV ... and somehow your pics may also have become too saturated (though I don't feel they are that) during the scanning process, there's so many steps in between your capturing this scene on the film you used and us getting to see the photo in our computers ... hard to tell where "too much saturation" may come from.

And I don't know how you digitalise your prints, either ... I still scan mine on a flatbed scanner and they at first sure come out blurry ... to make them look reasonably much like the print means I have to put some USM on the scanned pic ... and I never show them this large, either, that will definitely make them appear blurry.

Assuming the focus in the original 35mm (slide? print?) is tacksharp, as you suggest, maybe the focus can be improved by simply scanning at a higher resolution.
That may also affect apparent saturation.

I was scanning my prints at 200dpi however the process was too slow and resulted in the occasional misalignment. I'm getting them put on a photo cd instead. I don't even get prints because half the time they just got straight to the web. Since I'm shooting with film I don't have the luxury of previewing the final result. It seems like a lot of my pictures are either over/under exposed. Should I purchase a meter to help with this?

BTW, Thaks everyone for helping with this. I really appreciate it.:wink:

Most reactions

Back