When people just don't get it

As I'm doing this, I hear: "Why is he taking a picture of that house?" "Is he still taking pictures of that same house?" "Hey, got enough pictures yet?" Then, afterwards: "Sure you got enough pictures of that yellow house?" "Hey, maybe we'll see another yellow house and you can take some more pictures!"

I think most people here have been in this situation. I find it interesting how my friends suddenly become understanding and interested when I say that a good looking model is coming over for some abstract nudes tomorrow...

Wow I am in the opposite situation. My family is more than willing to wait because they have learned that they will get some awesome birthday / holiday gifts from me. It actually sucks because the wont buy prints from me because of this. (I just ask that they cover the cost)
But my husband on the other hand he is more than willing to wait pretty much as long as we need to for me to get my shot. I guess I am very lucky!! Although I do take photos at work when it is slow and my fellow coworkers will ask why I bother or what I am doing. And yes my bosses and the owners of the place approve of this because they need photos of the place so it works out. I take a few boring photos of rooms and then I can practice on the flowers, wedding cakes or anything else I want to in a set up (usually for a wedding) but empty catering room.
Maybe try to show them the printed shot and tell them that it is possible to make money of the shot. They may understand more.

The best rule I can think of for a situation like yours is not to bring your camera...Bring a point & shoot instead that way you can snap a few to satisfy your jones and not appear to be selfishly holding up the group.

The best rule I can think of for a situation like yours is not to bring your friends.

Well, this was a vacation trip to a scenic place I'd never been before (and will likely never get an opportunity to visit again). Neither of these suggestions, therefore, are practical. And everyone knew I am interested in photography, not just snapshots.

Also, no one was angry at being held up. They were not, in fact, held up; they went on ahead. It was a fairly small area we were visiting and we had an hour before we had to hop back on the bus. So no one was inconvenienced nor upset. Just baffled about why I wanted a picture of a freakin' yellow house. :D

I appreciate all the input; it really does help to know that others have been down this road.

And by the way, as soon as I get my Flickr password straightened out, I'll post a photo of the house and you can all have a good laugh. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jon

;)

just tell them they would not understand what it is about anyway. Then they either get really curious, and you have an excuse to tell them what you think photography is. Or they turn away and won't comment much anymore.

BTW, I, most of the time was rather lucky in a way that usually I am surrounded by people who do understand. Lots of my friends are into photography to some extent, my parents are, and my last GF even thought of getting a better camera since there were so many moments when she had to wait for me when I was taking a picture and it took ages. Because of these moments of boredom she started to get actually more interested into photography as she had nothing else to do then ;)

But it seems like the group had been warned!

True but what is a social group like that going to say, "No! Sorry, we don't want to deal with it"? Well, sounds like they might next time anyway. :lmao:

I dunno, I think that's what pocket cameras are for. <shrug> And even though I protesteth so, I am just the selfish bastard that makes everyone wait for me while I stop every 50 yards shooting manhole covers. :D

Alright, I know you're all dying to see it. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Here's the famous yellow house:

I'm gonna go post it in the general gallery and ask for some criticism.

Jon

Last edited:
Why would you take a picture of a yellow house?? :lmao:

Actually, I just saw it over on the other page and really like it. That yellow is just bright enough to make it stand out from the BG and the composition is good too (I might crop a little more off the viewer's left).

... edit ... thinking about this one a bit -- it might be an interesting B/W with monochrome yellow on the house ...

Here is a picture that my friend drew on Facebook. The guy in the picture is ME!

yayweeds.jpg

Mh... weed...

Alright, I know you're all dying to see it. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Here's the famous yellow house:

Well, there you have it, well worth it!

My boyfriend asks me why I'm taking pics of some things cause he's not interested in them ... Don't think he sees what I see lol then again he complains I don't see what he 'can' see in a view. Sometimes he'll look at something later and say it was good you got a pic of it or something (thats after he's complained cause I've "wasted time" getting it in the 1st place lol)

That house is nice a bright - Can see what you stopped to get a pic of it :D

I compromise. I don't say to my friends, "Hey, you're drinking another beer. That's what, eighteen so far today?" I also don't say, "My god, are you watching another football game? I watched one once. Aren't they doing the same thing?" Or, "What do you mean you want to go into a shoe store? Are you building a new closet for shoes or something?"

Of course, I have a friend who loves to take pictures of birds. That's about all he likes to shoot and he does a good job. When we're walking in the woods, I tend to shoot everything but the birds and he shoots nothing except the birds. Go figure.

Last edited:
Ok I didn't read every post but I need to say something...

so?

People rarely "get" what they don't understand first hand. Just explain its your art and you enjoy it.

Try being an adoptive parent, being a member of a trans racial family, have a disability...then people REALLY don't give you (and say things faaar worse then "why are you taking a picture of a house").

I think the only thing you can do it recognize how easy it is to say stupid things to people you don't understand (I did it today, saying my hippy friends would love my playgroup friend because she has an "alternative lifestyle". WTF do I know about it? Nothing. Moments later I felt like an idiot) and try REALLY hard to stop yourself before hand.

I dunno, do you think Picasso painted while out on a walk with a group of friends?

Nah ... he took a photograph and painted when he got home :lmao:

Everyone that knows me doesnt even say a word anymore. They gave up, mostly because Im very fast on the retorts. So i dont even get remarks either.

Most reactions

Back