When to buy a Canon 30D?

Mihai said:
... I think that Canon may come out with a better full sensor camera at Photokina
I doubt it. The 5D is less than a year old, and the D30 was just released a few months ago. It may be time for a new high-end professional product, but I don't think they're about to cannibalize sales of these relatively new mid-market products. An update to the Digital Rebels (at the entry level of the market) may be due, but I don't see a landslide evolution there right now either. Little features that get good press but won't make a quantum difference.

Oh, and n terms of pricing, here's my approach. I buy from Adorama or B&H. I end up buying more than just a body anyway, and by the time I factor in price differences on accessories whatever savings can be found from one dealer are outdone by the prices from another. I put a high value on my personal time. I don't know what your time is worth on a per-hour basis, but I've stopped spending several hours online trying to find a $150 savings - it doesn't add up for me. I'd rather order from a reputable retailer and go do something else. However, I'm no longer a hungry college student but rather a successful entrepreneur, so take that particular calculation and see how it works for you. I also acknowledge that there's a certain fun (and subsequent pride) in having tracked down a good deal. We all like that :)

Mihai said:
Besides the money aspect, the main problem I have (now) is that I think that Canon may come out with a better full sensor camera at Photokina (spelling?) and I'll shoot myself for getting the 30d. Stupid uncertainty...

I highly doubt it. Look how long they had the 20D out. The 30D is a fresh camera as well as the 5D. Yeah maybe their next camera will be a full framed 30D, but trust me.. it wont be just as cheap. It'll just replace the 5D.

If a camera was good at one point within the last year or two, it still is a good camera. Yeah they will have better, but then your going to be able to get a decent camera at alot cheaper value. If I were you I'd be more upset if I bought the 30D new and then something else came out and the 30D price went down.

Allow me to throw some fuel on this speculative bonfire:

New Canon camera and lens rumors

This was spotted on the Canon China site, and interpreted thusly:
Canon US is still silent right this moment about the 400D DSLR, but it looks like Canon China's spilled the beans on their latest full-frame 35mm digital camera. Or at least we think it's full-frame 35mm, you never know with those translationbots that mention 35mm over and over; we also think it's got a 10.1 megapixel CMOS, 2.5-inch LCD, 9 point focus system, 1600 ISO setting, DIGIC II processor, ultrasonic dust removal, and, of course the Canon EF lens mount (for which they appeared to have announced two new lenses, the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, and the EF 70-200mm f/4L is USM).

Iron Flatline said:
I doubt it. The 5D is less than a year old, and the D30 was just released a few months ago. It may be time for a new high-end professional product, but I don't think they're about to cannibalize sales of these relatively new mid-market products. An update to the Digital Rebels (at the entry level of the market) may be due, but I don't see a landslide evolution there right now either. Little features that get good press but won't make a quantum difference.
Ya know... now that I think about all of this, it would actually make sense for Canon to come out with big sensors. If they really have the ability to produce them, and know that Nikon DOESN'T, it makes strategic sense to flood the market with their product. That way they end up picking up pretty much every person entering the market, and might even get some other product owners to switch. Those married to certain bayonnets and lenses will obviously not switch, but this could well be about market share. If Canon can pull it off (manufacturing, delivery, quality) and Nikon cannot, they can carve a good 5-10% off the market for themselves over the next 24 months while the rest of the industry plays catch-up.

But who knows, it's all speculation right now...

See, that's exactly why I was planning to wait. I was so on the edge. You pushed me over. The news about the 400D are on photokina first page as well: http://www.photokina-show.com/

I'll wait and get the full sensor if it turns out to be true.
Thanks for helping me off the edge. It was very uncomfortable up there :)

Mihai

Wait a bit. On photokina site (at full story) they say that although it's a 10M pixels, it's APS-C, i.e., still the "small" sensor, it's not full sensor. I guess that, if the rumor is true, it's still not my dream camera. Then it will come to price vs features (and size!) between the 400D and the 30D.

M.

It's probably that the 400D will be sold outside US and the XTi inside US (or the other way around). If it sels for under $1000 it sounds like a sweet deal. The only problem I see with it at this point is the size: it seems to be just as small as the XT rebel, and for me, that's small!

Reverend said:
I agree. They're a shady brooklyn shop. Don't trust the Brooklyn camera shops!! They'll sell you the camera at a super low price, then call you and ask if you want to buy the battery. When you argue and say that the battery comes with the camera, they'll cancel your order. Its messed up -- do a search on it.

Thanks for the advice - Have a 350D and really wondering how much difference the build and spot metering of the 30D will make. If transporting camera gear on flight from UK is to be a problem I will have to get equipment on arival for Wedding Pics. Exchange rate is very much in my favour at present.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back