when to choose black and white?

B&W woerks on certain types of images, better than on other types of images. The choice to go B&W depends on many factors. Shots that utilize lines, shapes, masses, texture, repetition, and so on are often very good in B&W.

To some people, B&W in the digitial era seems "forced", since cameras for the most part shoot in full color. Others are more open in their thinking. When to go to B&W depends on the shooter.

You have to learn to be able to follow your instinct. In the end what you like is what matters.

That's one of the problems with today's digital cameras, all color all the time. Older shooters like me and many others here learned on film. Cheap film when learning was black & white. You learned to see potential images in black & white in your brain before you wasted a frame of film.

I normally have in mind which way my end product will be before I ever press the shutter. This allows me to adjust the setting to accommodate if it will be B&W or colour since they each have different lighting techniques.
This more true I find in the studio since I rarely shoot for B&W very often with wildlife.

Turning a photo B&W because it didn't work in colour? I usually just delete and try again.

Color or black-n-white......such a personal choice.

If you have a couple of hours and want to learn a lot about visualizing and shooting black and white, sit down, get a cup of coffee and watch this video with Eileen Rafferty.

That's one of the problems with today's digital cameras, all color all the time. Older shooters like me and many others here learned on film. Cheap film when learning was black & white. You learned to see potential images in black & white in your brain before you wasted a frame of film.
Also easy to develop at home! And if your on a budget, you bought the B&W by the 100' roll, and rolled it yourself. And you pushed those chemicals right to the end by adding time.

Most of my thoughts are already here -

Learn to see in b&w before you press the shutter button
Shoot RAW and convert later

I will add one benefit of shooting RAW and converting later. In Lightroom, I can tweak certain colors to make the b&w pop the way I am visualizing. If it's already in b&w out of the camera, I can't do that.

I don't necessarily see more possibilities and less waste as a problem. If anything it allows for a great deal more creativity and learning. I've never been able to wrap my head around the logic of people who are so against digital photography. I started on film as well, and my learning curve was slow. When I switched to digital, my learning curve took off like a rocket.

I don't necessarily see more possibilities and less waste as a problem. If anything it allows for a great deal more creativity and learning. I've never been able to wrap my head around the logic of people who are so against digital photography. I started on film as well, and my learning curve was slow. When I switched to digital, my learning curve took off like a rocket.
One word: PATIENCE. Something lacking in today's society.

Elaborate. You're going to have to give me more than that to be even remotely convincing.

I usually am thinking about what I'll be photographing and if I want something in B&W. I tend to think about if there will be some nice contrast out and about that day, and sometimes have changed my mind before I got out the door.

I shoot film too, and don't often convert digital images to B&W, but did one time when I saw an interesting old building. I was getting that great late day low in the sky sunlight hitting tall straw color grass growing high around the building. The color pictures worked out well, but having used up all the film I had with me that day I used my digital. Later realized how great the subject would be in B&W too so just 'removed color'. Did enhance the contrast for a submission for a 'Spooky Show'! Just depends sometimes on what you want to do with it, or maybe how you envision something.

The color version of this one has so little color I think it works better in B&W; that seems to enhance the line and texture. Great photo too, I like the vastness of the building which is emphasized by the lone figure.

Elaborate. You're going to have to give me more than that to be even remotely convincing.
Ever see the term R.T.F.M. used either directly or indirectly. You ever wonder why it gets used so much these days. Anybody can pick up a digital camera and take a picture as long as they are old enough or big enough to hold the camera or use push a button. Like I said, they can take a picture, not necessary a photograph.

There are numerous threads going on now here and in all likely hood almost every other photography forum where the OP wants suggestions for a camera that will take fantastic, or gorgeous, or outstanding or amazing photographs.

There are numerous threads where the OP wants an answer to amazingly simple problems, often they could have been answered if they had R.T.F.M. or something as simple as Digital Photography Tutorials.

There are numerous threads where the OP has been taking pictures for a few month and is now ready to go pro because it looks "so fun and exciting." So now then want to know what camera, lens, other gear etc. they need cause their friends on Facebook "really like" their pictures.

Add to that the numerous threads wanting to know how was this photo taken or this look achieved. So why all the questions of this ilk? Lack of patience. The want of instant gratification over the dedication to learning the craft.

As for Digital, I love and shoot digital for all my 35mm needs which is most of the time while I shoot film for MF only these days.

But I would not trade learning the craft of photography with film for anything. The effort and expense it took meant that the serious shot 35mm, the average Joe shot Pocket Instamatics or Polaroids. They were simple, load the cartridge, close the back and shoot. Add a flash cube for dark situations and they were ready to go. Nothing to think about and nothing to control, just push a button.

Most reactions

Back