when to exercise

Just trust me and follow my advice. Those programs never work in most cases.

When I quit smoking about a year and a half ago, I gained myself a nice belly. I'm trying to get rid of it and I found a nice "10 minute a day" routine, but I'm confused on if it matters when I eat.

In this thread I've found that I should eat before exercising, after exercising and taht it doesn't matter :lol:

Luckily no one said to eat while exercising!!

For starters, double or triple that 10-min workout.

Eat a meal or something with protein (protein shakes are quick and easy) 30 minutes to an hour pre-workout. For post-workout you should consume something like a protein shake again. You don't need a full meal pre-workout, just something to give you good sustenance; that's why a protein shake works well. There's nothing wrong with a full meal afterwards though (no burgers or junk food). Make sure you get something in your system within 30 minutes post-workout.

No offense to everyone who tried to help, but most of the info in this thread was pretty random and just thrown out there (incorrectly).

Pfft I dont think all the advice was incorrect Josh but like I said each person is different and you obviously found our advice lacking. :er:

I do agree with eating 5 smaller meals a day. I eat every two hours, am currently training for a fitness challenge so for me I need to. I also think that if you really want to lose the belly go down to your local gym and talk to a trainer. They will get you set up on a program thats tailored for you depending on how active you are and what your goals are. Good luck anyways. Losing weight is never easy and any amount lost is a great accomplishment.

Pfft I dont think all the advice

No offense to everyone who tried to help, but most of the info

YOUR information was fine. SOME of the others were not.

I was just hoping to help him get on the right track since it takes more than 10 minutes to lose weight. What I think about when I hear of a 10 minute work-out are those Bowflex commercials that promise you a physical trainers body with 9 minute work-outs. :lol:

Take it for what you want, and be offended by what you want; although nothing I have said was intended to be too harsh. My internet skin is thick so perhaps I came across very blunt for the sensitive readers, but I want the best results for the OP and having random things like "I think" or "It doesn't really matter" certainly doesn't help in a situation that needs specifics.

Hopefully that helps clarify things. I am happy to help be more specific, even down to proper diet requirements if needed.

Pfft I dont think all the advice

No offense to everyone who tried to help, but most of the info

YOUR information was fine. SOME of the others were not.

I was just hoping to help him get on the right track since it takes more than 10 minutes to lose weight. What I think about when I hear of a 10 minute work-out are those Bowflex commercials that promise you a physical trainers body with 9 minute work-outs. :lol:

Take it for what you want, and be offended by what you want; although nothing I have said was intended to be too harsh. My internet skin is thick so perhaps I came across very blunt for the sensitive readers, but I want the best results for the OP and having random things like "I think" or "It doesn't really matter" certainly doesn't help in a situation that needs specifics.

Hopefully that helps clarify things. I am happy to help be more specific, even down to proper diet requirements if needed.

Nah Im good, just busting your balls a bit. Lol no offense meant and none taken. Your statement was general as was the question. I think you had lots of great points and hopefully the OP has great success.

I agree, I see quite a bit of misinformation as well.

Anyone here as part of their job train people?

Other than my hubbie nope lol although I have been working out with a trainer for the last year on a three times a week basis getting ready for competition so I like to think that I am somewhat knowledgeable on the topic. :sexywink:

This topic is entirely dependant on the individuals needs. For someone who wants to build muscle mass as opposed to just losing the weight there are two entirely different arguments. I could give you all sorts of links and book articles supporting different peoples views. What works for one might not work for another. I know what I do but I am building muscle mass as opposed to losing weight other than body fat percentage. Anyhow not going to hijack, but let us know how its going. I think its great either way that your trying to lose it and a high fiver for kicking the smokes. :thumbup: And Josh now that I know you are even versed in diet requirements I might pick your brain sometimes lol.

Last edited:
to lose weight you should do cardio at least 2 hours 3 times a week and resistance training on the other days, with a rest day if you want.

This topic is entirely dependant on the individuals needs. For someone who wants to build muscle mass as opposed to just losing the weight there are two entirely different arguments.

Exactly. That's why I tried to narrow down the needs of the OP by asking him this exact question. I am most experienced with muscle building, but since I go through "leaning down" phases I can also help with losing excess fat. I am by no means a body builder though.

I could give you all sorts of links and book articles supporting different peoples views. What works for one might not work for another. I know what I do but I am building muscle mass as opposed to losing weight other than body fat percentage. Anyhow not going to hijack, but let us know how its going. I think its great either way that your trying to lose it and a high fiver for kicking the smokes. :thumbup: And Josh now that I know you are even versed in diet requirements I might pick your brain sometimes lol.

No worries, feel free to ask any time. :thumbup:

to lose weight you should do cardio at least 2 hours 3 times a week and resistance training on the other days, with a rest day if you want.

You are going to take someone with a 10 minute workout plan and tell them they have to do 6 hours of cardio per week in addition to other work-out days? Good luck :lol: He has a little bit of excess weight, he's not obese.

Well I don't know how big his belly is. ;X
But then I forgot, it's a guy, you guys lose weight way easier.

And, you can try the South Beach Diet's Phase I, the first thing to go is the belly. True story, my dad did it.

The key to weight loss depends on 3 things I have been told. Majority is genetics then diet then excersise. How I hate the ease in which men lean out and put on muscle for that matter. Its just not fair lol. Now I dont want to be a she-ra by any means but I wish I could put on muscle like the guys can.

Genetics do play an astronomical part of the way your body looks and how it will behave when you start trying to "alter" it.

For example, I drop weight so incredibly fast it isn't even funny. I focus most of my energy on doing things to keep weight on, which is the polar opposite of most people. I have people I work with and train that have the complete opposite results, they often joke that if they even think about eating a hamburger they gain 5 lbs.
Ecto-Meso-Endomorph

Genetics do play an astronomical part of the way your body looks and how it will behave when you start trying to "alter" it.

For example, I drop weight so incredibly fast it isn't even funny. I focus most of my energy on doing things to keep weight on, which is the polar opposite of most people. I have people I work with and train that have the complete opposite results, they often joke that if they even think about eating a hamburger they gain 5 lbs.
Ecto-Meso-Endomorph

I am the same way as you. I have been training to GAIN weight for the past couple years. I've gone from 130 to the upper 160's and I am right around 162 right now. I would like to get back up above 165 but I am leaning down a little for my trip to Hawaii next month. Gotta look sexy!:greenpbl:

When I am in 100% training mode I eat constantly (every hour, two hours max) and intake 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. My post-workout meal usually consists of 5+ eggs and 4 or 5 pieces of bread (egg sandwiches sort of).

I like the ABs of Flab workout. Lift the remote 1,2,3, then move to the beer.

The process that was recommended to me, and that I currently use, is a quick system burst of whey protein, Lucine and glutamine. The shake I take also has an amino acceleration system which is basically comprised of enzymes designed to allow your body to take the amino acids from your stomach to your muscles in as little time as possible.
The only probably with something like a meal after a workout is it takes longer then ideal to digest it and get that protein into your system. An egg for example, takes 45mins to be digested. You body goes catabolic during a workout, and to minimize those effects it's ideal to get nutrients to the muscles asap.

Most reactions

Back