Where am I going wrong?

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Fingers, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Fingers

Fingers TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am struggling to get a "sharp" picture
    Maybe I am going the wrong way about things or maybe "sharp" is only obtainable under certain conditions/lenses?
    Any how
    My new 10-22mm ef-s came yesterday and here are my first attempts. Though not happy with the exposure I am posting these as a demonstration of "sharp"
    Photo 1 is unsharped with a little curve editing.
    Photo 2 is the same but has been sharpend.
    I would really like to get the sharpness RAW on the sensor! This has been my experiance with much of my photos with all 4 of my lenses (I have only been DSLR for 5 month) I have yet been able to use my camera in bright light natural or not, so have been using either slow shutters or big f stops. Maybe its the light, maybe its the lens, maybe its the camera, I think it must be me. But how do you get pin point sharpness?
    Photo info
    Using tripod with shutter up mode and timer
    File name
    IMG_3455.CR2
    Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS 20D
    Firmware
    Firmware 2.0.3
    Shooting Date/Time
    12-04-2008 09:53:29
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/15Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F22
    Metering Modes
    Evaluative metering
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    10-22mm
    Focal Length
    10.0 mm
    Image size
    3504 x 2336
    Image Quality
    RAW
    Flash
    Off
    White Balance
    Auto
    AF mode
    One-Shot AF
    Picture Style
    -
    Parameters
    Tone Curve : -
    Sharpness level : -
    Pattern Sharpness : -
    Contrast : 0
    Sharpness : 0
    Color saturation : 0
    Color tone : 0
    Highlight tone priority : -
    Color matrix
    -
    Color Space
    sRGB
    File Size
    7568 KB
    Photo 1
    [​IMG]
    Photo 2
    [​IMG]

2. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Looks to me like its a combination of camera shake and focus. Its hard to get razor sharp with longish shutter speeds as the tineyest camera movement will blur the image. It looks to me like the focus in above image was close to camera therefore the far stuff soft. Were you trying for lots of DOF? , F22 may not be a sharp place for that lens ( I dont Know).

3. Fingers

Fingers TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes I was looking for max DOF, and my tripod is a cheep £25 light wieght one. Which looks and feels steady enough but who knows?

I also used the mirrow up with timer so there was no shake form the shutter action.

I guess what must be needed is light light light and fast shutter speeds. 15 is quite low, but with a tripod? Maybe a more solid tripod would make a difference?

4. Ajay

Ajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Was it windy at all? Like DeadEye said even the slightest movement can make your shots blurry - especially at 1/15 shutter speed.

5. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At F22 and ISO 100 on that lens you will not get sharp images while hand holding. You'd need a tripod. Try backing it off to F8. The 10-22 likes F5.6 and F8 a lot. 10mm should be fine for sharpness, but once again the lens LOVES 15mm. Check out the graphs on sharpness and distortion from Luminous Landscape.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-10-22mm-test.shtml
    Great resource. I hope this helps, you will love this lens until the end of time once you can make it do what you want! I won't go anywhere without mine.

Cheers

6. Fingers

Fingers TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very Interesting reading McQueen, Thanks. I was tring to get the best DOF possible but I guess I can let the lens do its job at the bigger f stops.

PS I was using a tripod, all be it a cheep one, also using mirrow up function with timer.

I hope tomorrow will bring some sunshine and with my new found knowlage about my lens will improve my shots.

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hand holding may not be the only issue here. f/22 will not get you a tac sharp image on any lens mounted on an APS sized camera. Diffraction limits the final sharpness quite severely on all my lenses when I use them on my digital camera, and I try never to go above f/16