where are these smudges from

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rlcphotos, Jun 25, 2008.

1. rlcphotos

rlcphotos TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    on my XT these marks have started shoeing up?? I have cleaned this lens in particular but seem to get them on all lens, I brushed the mirror lightly and blowed litely but still they are there, any help appreciated.
    The one photo I darkened so they would show up better....only seem to show on brite shots such as these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't see the images (probably my end, not yours) but i would think that it's dust on the sensor...not on the lens and surely not on the mirror (the mirror flips up and out of the way when the image is captured...so anything on the mirror will definitely not show up in the image).

Cleaning the sensor is par for the course with a DSLR camera. There have been many posts about the many ways of cleaning your sensor...so use the search feature.

5. Sandspur

Sandspur TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's dust and/or moisture on the sensor.

Risky to clean. Be sure that either you or whomever you let do the cleaning knows what to do and has the correct tools. Otherwise you can ruin the camera.

6. conradtan

conradtan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sensor dust for sure..

7. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like sensor dust...bad enough to have to have it cleaned professionally I'd say.

8. peterbj7

peterbj7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed. You should be able to clean it yourself with Eclipse liquid and the appropriate Sensor Swab. Read the camera manual first. You'll need a fully charged battery or external power supply. It's not difficult but you do need to be very careful or you may do damage. If you have any doubts take it to Canon, or look up an authorised service agent. Make sure you're in a non-dusty environment with no air circulating. Don't be surprised if all the muck doesn't disappear on the first pass - you may need to do it twice. Do NOT re-use the sensor swab, or grit on it may score and ruin the sensor. Also get a Rocket Blower which may well shift some of the muck, now and in the future.

I was very worried before I first cleaned my sensor, but now I've done it several times (at least once a month) I have no concerns.

I should emphasise - ONLY use Eclipse and the right Sensor Swab on the sensor - do NOT touch it with anything else, and that includes a brush. When using the Rocket Blower hold the camera so the lens opening is facing down and be careful not to knock the mirror or sensor with the tip of the blower. Blow all around inside the camera, and any much that's just sitting in there waiting to get onto the sensor may be blown out.

9. SBlanca

SBlanca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    definately sensor dust, looks quite bad, get it done with a pro, or do it yourself if you just dont care about your camera, I paid something around the region of $40 for a shop guy to clean my sensor, i just didnt dare to do it myself

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Blow off the sensor with a hand blower (NOT CANNED AIR)... that should get rid of most of it... if what's left still bothers you you'll need to do a wet-clean which is a bit more risky.

11. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree. Blowing it off will most likely do the deed. Turn the mount down when you are doing it so the dust drops out easier. Wet cleaning isnt that hard if you know what you are doing.

12. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

how often does everyone here clean their sensor? I've got the be careful changing lenses motto and its not failed me yet.