Where do I fit?

If you don't care what others think, or trying to impress us, why are you posting your photos? Maybe you should be honest with who you are first before criticizing others. When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers aimed backwards.
How philosophical of you, Alan.
Honestly? I have no idea who I am. Then again, I haven't criticised anyone yet. So.perhaps you might inform me. I'm open to suggestions.

Then again, I haven't criticised anyone yet.

Really? "...there's the possibility that I will be judged, indeed criticised and by some unknown and unknowing sod who is probably just as lame as I am at taking photos."

Perhaps I read that wrong, but it came off as sort of a blanket criticism of anyone who might say something negative about one of your images. If you really don't care, just post 'em and be done with it. As for any concerns over what "category" to post your work in, the images in this thread are all B&W, so they could fit neatly in the B&W Gallery - or, perhaps the General Gallery if you want to keep it even more open. You don't have to title a photo if you prefer; the subject line could say "A shot from last week" or words to that effect.

No need to try to make us laugh with or at your angst over posting your stuff - we all get that this is a highly personal journey. No one wants their journey criticized - we're all on our own artistic journeys, too. You should do fine here just by thanking anyone who wishes to comment, be it in a positive or negative way. That person took notice and commented. Who cares what they think? If you are satisfied with your work to the extent you have no aim to "improve," as you stated, then you should feel confident and relaxed enough to share your work and read all comments through a clear, unruffled lens.

As far as your apparent knock on the poster who was asking about carrying additional cameras on vacation - there are legitimate concerns over the hassle of carrying extra gear vs. limiting oneself to a single format or lens. A TLR or simple Holga will keep you in square format or set you up for additional post-processing later, but it's less to tote. A DSLR with multiple prime lenses is ideal, but involves extra weight. Looking for some feedback to basically help talk oneself through pros and cons in various situations is part of the community here. Not sure it's anything you need to raise your eyebrows over or find fault with. We all have our ways at arriving at our photographic decisions. Again - who cares? If we all thought or did the same thing, it'd be pretty boring around here.

I'm open to suggestions.

You got 'em. ;) Keep posting, and enjoy the forum!

Well-said, Terri! (Mirrored my exact thoughts, but stated far more diplomatically than that of which I'd likely have done--which is why I refrained.)

Personally, I join forums like this for a variety of reasons. To learn from others and, in turn, to help others. To share triumphs and commiserate over things that didn't go quite (?) as we'd hoped ;).

For a forum like this, where the art and practice have elements both technical and artistic: Also to have my efforts judged, that I might improve.

In that latter vein I'm reminded of the TV Adverts by a national chain of inexpensive fitness clubs that advertises their places as "Judgement-free zones." To heck with that! I join a fitness club to get fit. Others there being more fit than I, I regard as a motivator.

Same, here, with photos.

I'm struggling.
I thought I just took pictures.
Apparently not. It seems I must be a photographer. Not only that, I need to talk 'shop' to endless lengths, especially in relation to the gear I use, the lenses I have, the editing program that is the best, my preference for B&W, my propensity to shoot people, animals, buildings, small things, big things, pretty stuff, events, non-events .... the list goes on. I even noticed someone asking if they should take one camera or another to their desired travel destination. Really? Can't people pack their own bags?

And just when I'm feeling very uncomfortable because my pictures don't seem to fit any category I can identify with, there's the possibility that I will be judged, indeed criticised and by some unknown and unknowing sod who is probably just as lame as I am at taking photos.

I've got no idea where this will end up; trouble, probably, but I'm here.
Bare with me.
I'm doing my best.

Bare with you? No thank you sir, we'll not get nekkid with you, for we hardly know you!

I like your pictures, as seen in other threads recently. Do you have an Artist's Statement somewhere we can access it on-line?

I have multiple camera bags. I pack them all myself. Like my mama taught me to do.

Welcome to TPF.

Signed,
Unknowing Sod.

You don't have to fit in, do or be anything. Sort of pointless to overthink it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back