jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey folks,

I've been meaning to post this, but I've been a little concerned that it will sound a little strange, so bear with me.

Just to recap, I woke up one day in June and decided that I wanted to get into photography as a hobby. I had no previous experience. I bought the Canon PowerShot S2, and I love it very much. I am already saving up for a DSLR (I have it down to 4 choices), and I just got my brother-in-law's Nikon SLR over the weekend. Oh, and I have my photoblog.

So, until recently, I've been having a grand old time walking the streets of DC, taking pictures, going home and playing with them in Elements, then posting them on my photoblog and here on the Forum, calling friends and family and telling them to check out the latest offerings.

While I don't think I can compete with many of you on the Forum, I am very pleased with the pics I have taken, and I can see real progress from the pics I took in June to the pics I took last night.

But, I can't help but feel that I need to take the next step in this hobby. I don't mean going professional (although after seeing a bunch of wedding pics, the thought has crossed my mind), but rather, I want to do more than just just post here and on my blog.

So, I ask you, the folks who've been in this hobby much longer than I, what else is there to do? Are there contests? Are there competitions? Is there somewhere I can post to get more exposure (perhaps to get one or two in a calendar or photodisk.com or somesuch)?

Anyway, the question is what's next on the road to photgraphy hobby after posting here and on my blog?

Does this make sense?

Thanks.

First, figure out what you want from photography. Ask yourself the following: Do you want simple artistic expression? Do you want to make money? How much time and money can you realistically put into it?

What is it you get from photography now? Does it make you feel competitive - or peaceful? Satisfied - or restless?

No one can really answer those questions but you. When you do, you might have a better idea of what lies ahead for you that makes sense, and is realistic. There's not a lot of point in following what others do if you aren't of like mind. :)

Do you already have a pretty good idea about all of the above?

terri said:
First, figure out what you want from photography. Ask yourself the following: Do you want simple artistic expression? Do you want to make money? How much time and money can you realistically put into it?

What is it you get from photography now? Does it make you feel competitive - or peaceful? Satisfied - or restless?

No one can really answer those questions but you. When you do, you might have a better idea of what lies ahead for you that makes sense, and is realistic. There's not a lot of point in following what others do if you aren't of like mind. :)

Do you already have a pretty good idea about all of the above?

Terri, the short answer to your questions is I have no idea. Do I want to make money? Who doesn't? I am not an overly cometitive person by nature, but I like some friendly competition. I enjoy taking the pictures and seeing my skills and talents develop. I like looking back at my old pictures and seeing how far I've come. I enjoy showing them off to people because I'm proud of what I've taken (even the bad stuff--that's what mothers are best for, telling me they are all great!).

I'm not really looking for a career path (although it sure would beat where I am now), I'm just looking for other avenues to explore that one can do with a photography hobby. I can't believe that all the hobbyists on this Forum just post here and on their blogs and that's it. What else do folks do?

hmmmm. Well, you could do one or all of the following:

Take creative photography classes, or just some basic ones. You'll get assignments, instruction, and meet some like-minded folk.

Join your local photography group, and meet other area photographers. Lots of times these groups have inways to galleries, and it's fun to show your work.

Participate in arts festivals, as an avenue to show and sell your work.

There are contests and competitions everywhere. Enter those, if they look like fun.

Stuff like this sound like what you were looking for? :)

terri said:
hmmmm. Well, you could do one or all of the following:

Take creative photography classes, or just some basic ones. You'll get assignments, instruction, and meet some like-minded folk.

Join your local photography group, and meet other area photographers. Lots of times these groups have inways to galleries, and it's fun to show your work.

Participate in arts festivals, as an avenue to show and sell your work.

There are contests and competitions everywhere. Enter those, if they look like fun.

Stuff like this sound like what you were looking for? :)

minus the classes :) Actually, I would love to take some classes (even though JonMikal thinks they are a waste ;) ), but someone needs to tell Uncle Sam to give me a big ole raise so I can afford that AND rent AND food AND heat!!!

Thanks, Terri.

well, look around and check if there's some kind of photo society in your area... maybe a photo club where amateurs and pro meet and go out for the photo shoot? this may be a great opportunity for you to became noticed by a pro photogs ...

Jocose,

No one can guide you a set path. People usually do it out of their passion.

You can probably narrow down the area(s) of photography that excites you the most. (If you do not know that yet, do not rush! :))
Say its wildlife. You could start your research on wildlife photography. Once you come accross couple of images which makes you move, you will naturally have the interest to delve deep. You may study more on the photographers who created them, their techniques, the mediums, the approach and it may subsequently lead you to research on the history of wildlife photography. You may be spending countless hours at the net/library researching. During the course, you may join a photo school or get the photography 101 to nail the basics you think you need. You may join (if you are lucky) your hero photographer on one or more of his treks to Mozambique. Eventually you may realize that you were made to cover the wildlife. You so know that within you.
Finally one of us will be posting a link to your NG photo shoot. ;)

No matter what, do it out of your passion. If making money is your sole motive, you are better off becoming a Subway frachisee.

PS: Never forget; white lensé = pro photographer :mrgreen:

PS: Never forget; white lensé = pro photographer
Oh - oh - oh - the apostrophe police, as well as the E-Cop, will doubtless be here soon. :meh:

Hope you had great weekend, Terrié! ;)

terri said:
Ie wont'e telle youe! ;)
:lmao:

All I can say is you are overlooking the aethetics of é! ;)
Ié resté myé casé!

somebody give me the moderator power please; just for ten seconds!

I need to rename a title to 'Queené of Hijacks' :mrgreen:

danalec99 said:
somebody give me the moderator power please; just for ten seconds!

I need to rename a title to 'Queené of Hijacks' :mrgreen:
:lmao: Whate ae fascinatinge ideae!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back