Where do you go buy your filters?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I work for a photo filter campany named taste. They're really high end. We have noticed that camera shops hate companies that post on amazon. Do you buy your filters from camera stores or via big box places like amazon? Also how did you even find out about filters?

We are rather lost, I keep trying to figure out how to get these filters out there, but no one is biting.

I get my filters from under soda cans around my house.

uploadfromtaptalk1431385983786.jpeg

nice, you're a lucky man. I look into the bottom of hundreds of soda cans every day and all I get is caloric dissappointment. And diabetes. I also get diabetes.

nice, you're a lucky man. I look into the bottom of hundreds of soda cans every day and all I get is caloric dissappointment. And diabetes. I also get diabetes.

I got a stack of UV filters i took off lenses i bought used.
they make great coasters. good thing to, 'cause thats pretty much all they are good for.

Well, we're still trying to sell them. I want to produce a variable ND. I think that's what everybody is looking for at this point. Most UV filters can be used for protection from the outside. Like ours is water resistant and just in case you drop it or something hits it, you'll have a layer of protection.

There are just so many different filters though, that they're the equivalent of bottle caps at this point.

Back when AOL was stuffing mailboxes with their software CDs every week, I used them for coasters (and intra-office Frisbees).

I haven't bought a filter for a couple of years, now; haven't needed any new ones.

Well, we're still trying to sell them. I want to produce a variable ND. I think that's what everybody is looking for at this point. Most UV filters can be used for protection from the outside. Like ours is water resistant and just in case you drop it or something hits it, you'll have a layer of protection.

There are just so many different filters though, that they're the equivalent of bottle caps at this point.

The only think I use UV for is color film, when I'm in the mountains. For me, a lens cap makes excellent protection and I won't forget to take it off when I shoot.

I got mine from e-bay, but I'd not be adverse to buying from amazon or direct from the manufacturer. Just depends who has the best price if I'm buying online. I think you'll have an uphill battle competing with the lee system though.

Well I will also say that UV filters are useless. If I want something to protect the filter from the elements, then I use a multi-coated clear. Other than that it is CP, NDs of various strengths stacked, and GNDs.
I too have various UVs that came with used filters I bought. The only reason I keep them is for their frames incase the threads on another filter get damaged. I have used one of them for that.

@weepete : 100 mm is really specialized. We are selling cpls and UVs up to 82. Lee is a good system although we use screw on thread. Our whole thing is phenomenal light transmittance. I met the lee guys at CES and they're actually really nice.

Taste filter from Japan reminds me of the sports drink in Japan with the name of Pocari Sweat. Something was lost in translation.

In the past five years I have bought one filter from a photo store and four on-line. I do need to buy a 77mm CPL and some ND filters, thats about it.

I buy most filters online. Ebay or Amazon. I don't see purchasing any more threaded filters, the slide-in style filter holder is so convenient.

Phil

I work for a photo filter campany named taste. They're really high end. We have noticed that camera shops hate companies that post on amazon. Do you buy your filters from camera stores or via big box places like amazon? Also how did you even find out about filters?

We are rather lost, I keep trying to figure out how to get these filters out there, but no one is biting.
So you started a company and produce a product, yet never did any market research to start with?
CalvinBlink2.gif

So you started a company and produce a product, yet never did any market research to start with?
CalvinBlink2.gif
It's not my company. Taste photo filters has been around for 60 or 70 years under a different name. They are looking to enter the U.S.
I'm not too sure what they could have done differently. Papers on the industry aren't directed at filters. We are understanding the industry by being here and talking to the stores, the distributors, and photographers.

Most reactions

Back