Where do you point your Iight meter?

Well, this blog entry was prompted by this post on a photography forum. It started off with a perfectly simple question but I made the mistake of mentioning that the meter needs to be pointed, not at the light, but at the camera.

And that started some discussion, with different people expressing different views, so I thought it might be a good idea to demonstrate why the laws of physics proves that the meter needs to be pointed towards the camera (which sees the actual amount of light reflected towards it, not the amount of light that the meter sees when it’s pointed directly at the light.

For basic incident metering,I'd think it should be directed at the camera.
But,for setting up ratios with multiple lights,it would need to be pointed at each light source individually.
Precisely. The short answer is: You meter the point of the scene for which you want exposure information. For instance; if I'm doing a high-key shot using three lights on the subject and two cross-lighting the background, I will:
-Meter each background light independently, aiming at the LIGHT to ensure both lights are providing the same light to the background, since under some conditions, a difference in distance of 6" could mean a difference of 1/2 stop or more;
-Meter the confluence of the background lights with the meter pointing toward the camera so that I can compare what the camera will "see" on the background to that on the model;
-Meter the output of each light on the subject to ensure that they're equal in output, again, by aiming at the light;
-Meter the subject toward the camera to verify overall exposure and compare it to the background; and
-Meter any areas which might have highlight issues by metering both toward the light and toward the camera.

You make it sound so easy.:bouncingsmileys:

You're right.
It is.
My cameras limitations forced me to learn how to use flash and light in general,and i'm actually grateful for that.
Eventually I'll upgrade my camera body,but meanwhile I'm still going to concentrate on light which I feel is of utmost importance.

Positioning your meter and yourself can affect the accuracy of your readings and the look of your images.

Point it where 'the sun don't shine.'

When I went to Photography school, the instructors themselves could not agree on this.
Basically the product photographer instructor said: point at the light source
the photojournalism teacher said: there's no time! point at the camera.
the fine arts photographer said: what light meter? I wear a black tshirt and base my exposure on how warm I get.

I'm not kidding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back