Where? Films and accessories for instant cameras

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanted to get me a Polaroid or Kodak (open for any advice/recommendation) on ebay but i noticed that some are missing batteries so i was wondering how hard it is to get these. Also, before i think this far, where do i get film for these? I am assuming that some are discontinued..

School me please.

There is no film for Kodak instant cameras they lost a lawsuit to Polaroid, some Polaroid models have the batteries in the film pack, hope that is some help

There is no film for Kodak instant cameras they lost a lawsuit to Polaroid, some Polaroid models have the batteries in the film pack, hope that is some help

Thanks for the info, so now i just need to find out what models are compatible with nowadays films,right? Anyone?

Depends on what kind of film you want to shoot. The cheapo ones are films like spectra and 600. If you're interested in shooting medium format polaroids, a medium format camera with a polaroid back will do the trick, or a Polaroid 600SE (dedicated instant film, MF press camera-type setup). Then there's Type 55, which is 4x5 and an absolute league above the rest (it's black and white, very expensive, and requires a large format camera).

Have a look around here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_film

There are other 4x5 films apart from Type 55. My favourites are 52 and 54. Some of the films listed in the Wikipedia article are now discontinued, I think. For example Type 57 (ISO 3000) has been difficult to get recently, and is no longer listed by Polaroid. There are also 8x10 films, and even larger. The full list of Polaroid materials, with the exception of ultra-large format, can be seen on the Polaroid website.

Fuji also make some instant film.

Best,
Helen

Of course there are other 4x5 instant films. Most will agree, though, that 55 is superior to 54 for its tonality, resolution, and negative. It's therefore preferable if you can afford the cost and have enough available light.

Of course there are other 4x5 instant films. Most will agree, though, that 55 is superior to 54 for its tonality, resolution, and negative. It's therefore preferable if you can afford the cost and have enough available light.

We have to put up with majority rule in politics, but in photography I hope that we have some room for individual choice so we don't have to follow the rest of the herd.

Best,
Helen

I never said that one ought to shoot the stuff because everyone else does. Though it's no accident that the film is revered by so many.

Ah, I must have misunderstood the implications of "It's therefore preferable if you can afford the cost and have enough available light."

How about "It is preferable if you prefer it. If you don't prefer it, it isn't preferable." instead?

Best,
Helen

Because tonality, resolution, and the production of a negative in an instant film are generally objectively desirable things. If you don't desire them, that's fine. More power to ya. But all things being equal, 55 is technically speaking a more capable film for most applications.

I know where you're coming from. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite. I regularly shoot ortho in 4x5. So one might say that pan films are technically more capable. They are. That's why most people shoot with them.

Max,

When tonality, resolution and overall high technical quality of a negative are my desires I do not choose instant film - I may be in danger of following the herd on that issue. I shoot LF Polaroid for the qualities of the original print. Could it be that Types 52 and 54 produce prints that are the equal of, or maybe better than, Type 55?

Best,
Helen

Perhaps. On the other hand, 55 often is shot for its negative, given its similarity to panx.

Old Polaroids never die. Here is a converted 110B with a Polaroid 545 back in place, and a Grafmatic:

6517987-md.jpg

I've always wanted one of those. And a 600SE as well.

Most reactions

Back