Where is the best place to start learning CS4?

Lwing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What tutorials would you recommend for a rank beginner to get started with portrait retouching on CS4?

There are so many tutorials available for so many photoshop actions, ... it is quite confusing. I am overwhelmed by the numerous tutorials to perform amazing special effects ... Also, most of what I have seen is for intermediate and advanced users and not beginners.

I want to learn to enhance portraits in a way similar to what the advertisements show for PortraitProfessional.

I have started looking over a group of video tutorials on the lydia.com site for CS3, but is this the best place to begin? Is there something better that you would suggest? I need something very basic.

Thanks!

Pay attention to your own learning style. Some people prefer books, others do better with video. If you're among the latter, lynda.com has some excellent introductory courses for CS4. View the free samples first and find an instructor whose approach suits you.

Here are two aimed at beginners:
http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=732
http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=714

Learn the basics first, then focus on your goal of portrait retouching.

EDIT: Here's an interesting little quiz that helps you identify your learning style(s):

http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=questionnaire

Last edited:
What tutorials would you recommend for a rank beginner to get started with portrait retouching on CS4?

There are so many tutorials available for so many photoshop actions, ... it is quite confusing. I am overwhelmed by the numerous tutorials to perform amazing special effects ... Also, most of what I have seen is for intermediate and advanced users and not beginners.

I want to learn to enhance portraits in a way similar to what the advertisements show for PortraitProfessional.

I have started looking over a group of video tutorials on the lydia.com site for CS3, but is this the best place to begin? Is there something better that you would suggest? I need something very basic.

Thanks!
Good portrait retouching is not basic image editing.

I believe the concept of people having learning styles is mostly BS and that with the right attitude and motivation the media that delivers the information is not relevant.

I can also endorse Lynda.com, and on the book side the CS4 book written by Scott Kelby. Scotts books are like a nicely organized collection of written and illustrated tutorials.

For a more in depth explaination of CS4's features I would recommend Martin Evenings CS4 book for photographers.

Many retail photographers use software like Portrait Professional or Imagenomics Portraiture 2 because the time they save can be used to shoot more clients.

Lastly, another source I use is at www.photoshopuser.com, the member web site of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP, $99 a yr). They have a boat load of tutorials and an active photoshop forum visited regularly by various Photoshop professionals. NAPP members also get various other perks including discounts on hardware/software including Portrait Professional, Imagenomics products, and Adobe's software products too.

If you decide to join feel free to use the referral link in my siggy ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓.

Well, shucks ....

I thought I had found a good site for learning photoshop, ...

Lynda.com has some good material, but they give you enough to get you interested and then you have to subscribe for the meat.

Well, shucks ....

Lynda.com has some good material, but they give you enough to get you interested and then you have to subscribe for the meat.
That's good smart business.

If you ever decide to do photography for money, you would do well to copy the concept. :thumbup:

I found that I have learned the best when I am with other photoshop users that know more than I do.

Well, shucks ....

On the other hand, you don't have to buy a pig in a poke. If you view the freebies and like the instructor and the content, then you know what you're getting. For $25 bucks, you can view any tutorials you want to for a month.

Well, shucks ....

On the other hand, you don't have to buy a pig in a poke. If you view the freebies and like the instructor and the content, then you know what you're getting. For $25 bucks, you can view any tutorials you want to for a month.

Well, I may have to do that. I would prefer to get as much from the freebees as I can first, though. The lynda.com site seems to be very thorough and well organized.

When I first attended college for photography and digital imaging the learning in PS 5 consisted of using each tool and the commands on the toolbar individually on a photograph, this gave a basic understanding of what PS is capable of, after that its up to the student to progress. I'd start by trying these steps with your imaging program, at least then you'll have a grounding in the basics. H

Poke around Youtube too. Lots of little, handy lessons on there. Though most arent as formal as what you will find on Lynda. ;)

I'm learning Photoshop CS4 on a truing DVD set I bought on eBay. It is from How to Gurus and the title is just Adobe Photoshop cs4. It is the best training I have had. I paid $45 for the set of three DVDs. It is over 24 hours of complete training. Not not a 90minute overview. It goes through every detail. I have no connection with them at all. I just finally found something good and sharing it.

Aaahhhhh, ......

I dscovered an excellent training site for CS4 and CS3!!!

There is ample free material and also premium videos too.

They have free access on Mondays!

Adobe Photoshop CS4

Lwing

Most reactions

Back