Where is the community at TPF?

lol, I had read that Student going Nikon to Canon thread when it was a 1 page thread, and I found the user got enough information in it. I didn't revisit the thread as I felt there wasn't much added that could benefit the OP.

Funny to see that is had gone down to the usual Nikon vs Canon, who is better and at what type of thread.

I haven't checked the D90 waterproof thread at all... not sure I should now lol

Compared to other various forums I've been on (from GPS to Trucks), there's a lot less moderation here... a LOT less.

There's plusses and minusses to both ends of the extreme... Too much moderation causes people to not post as much, too little causes threads to go off topic almost immediately.

The big problem is finding good moderators... some get a big head over the title while others are too lax about it and don't want to make anyone mad at them. We have some good ones here, just not enough in my opinion.

I've rarely seen action taken without a post/thread getting reported.

I did a quick count of 42 people with over 5,000 posts. I looked at the names, and there are maybe 4-5 that randomly post these days, and maybe 1-2 that post more often, both of those being mods on the site.

Damn...busted. I have to stop posting all together then. :lol:

I totally agree with you, even though I do not have many posts I joined last winter and stopped posting because I could not afford a camera at the time. But I still have a lot of experience from this forum.

I think we need a larger community here, also the threads get very very boring to me. There is nothing new and exciting on TPF that i've seen. People are posting twice, some people post to ask what camera they should get and some people post to get C&C and they never return to TPF. The sad thing is I see a lot of the same posters on here, I have seen the majority of the posters in this thread. like N0YZE, big, and Denny.

There are also a lot less mods and updates. I hope its not advertising but I want you guys to take a look at the layout of pinkbike. Its a biking site which is one of my passions, but im hoping TPF will look like it one day. Heres a link Pinkbike.com: Latest biking news, photos, videos, events and more! The photo of the day feature would be excellent for TPF!

Anyways, I've learned a lot on here. We have a great small community.

I did a quick count of 42 people with over 5,000 posts. I looked at the names, and there are maybe 4-5 that randomly post these days, and maybe 1-2 that post more often, both of those being mods on the site.

That'd be me, then.
There used to be a very tight community here - but the board was a lot smaller then.
As the board has gotten larger it has attracted more 'armchair professionals'.
These are people who believe that owning a camera and taking a few snaps for their chums makes them a professional and wise in all the dark arts of Photography.
I used to post but I got so sick and tired of these people arguing with me just for the sake of it that I gave up. If people want me to comment on their work now then they have to PM me.
There have been a number of others who have had the same problem and have left the board for good because of it.
Try looking in the archives for the topic 'Crit Forum' (if it hasn't all been deleted) to see what I mean.
This here Off Topic thread used to be a lot more fun as well...

It's a bit like making coffee, isn't it Chiller? ;)

As the once great Michael Jackson once said....You are not alone

As the once great Michael Jackson once said....You are not alone
I thought it was Fox Mulder that said that:lol::lol:

People don't seem to take the time to actually contribute to the forum and make the community better. I see the same half dozen people giving GOOD cc in posts, and props to all of you who do. And no, I don't consider "Nice job" good CC. I've been here for a little over a year, so maybe its just a regular cycle the forum goes through.

Personally, I'm getting a wee bit irritated by things like this and it makes me not want to take the time to post honest CC on images. I understand why some of the "old timers" don't frequent the beginner boards, but I would feel guilty not doing so as this is where I have posted and received some good CC from a few people.

I dunno, just ranting I guess.

Where is the community.......not in the Welcomes and Introductions - Page 2 - The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum area at all. For a forum to convert a reader into a poster can be a challenge but then when the community does not embrace the new poster the whole community concept goes down the drain.

The same goes for the CC area, people take time to post pictures that they might be proud of and nobody can spare a couple words. Granted sometimes saying nothing is better than something like "take up another hobby" but a zero post thread sort of tells people that the community doesn't care for them.

My 2 cents

Where is the community.......not in the Welcomes and Introductions - Page 2 - The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum area at all. For a forum to convert a reader into a poster can be a challenge but then when the community does not embrace the new poster the whole community concept goes down the drain.

The same goes for the CC area, people take time to post pictures that they might be proud of and nobody can spare a couple words. Granted sometimes saying nothing is better than something like "take up another hobby" but a zero post thread sort of tells people that the community doesn't care for them.

My 2 cents

TPF was my first photography home, back in 03, before there were 1000 members. I was welcomed into this community with open arms, and at that point in my lame photography journey, I did not even know what an aperature or shutter speed was. It was the members here that helped, not by telling me to go search, or look at google, or stop wasting time. Every member had some constructive words, and now I can look back and laugh at the stoopid questions i used to ask.
We used to have a TPF calender, and one member would also take the time at the end of the year to have a "fun" TPF Awards contest....ya know...most influential, most consistant, and even most scary:lol::lol: Yeah, I think I won that back to back.
I seen hundreds of good people come and go, some for no reason at all but move on, some cause of the changing face of TPF, the good ones moving on to better places.
When I finally learned enough to carry my own in taking pictures, yeah, I was commenting on others, and was willing to help anyone. I even enjoyed the Sunday Fight Club, till somebody got "offended" by one of my images and wrote a nasty little letter. (you can lick my crotch by the way...you know who you are) :grumpy: New owners took over who dont really care....mods are none existant, there is no community feel here, and most cant take an honest comment, or give one without getting their backs up. I honestly believe the new owners would never attempt to make this better, and just keep it as a money machine, as everyone keeps subscribing....for what really?
Now I only poke in here every now and then, to see if any ol timers are hanging out, and cant even remember the last time I posted an image here.
Im not sure if this place could ever be the way it was or can be "fixed". It has overgrown, and been populated with people who are not interested in making a community.

Anyways....enough of this rant. Been down this road a few times, and it goes nowhere.
Back to the peace and quiet of my crypt.

TPF was my first photography home, back in 03, before there were 1000 members. I was welcomed into this community with open arms, and at that point in my lame photography journey, I did not even know what an aperature or shutter speed was. It was the members here that helped, not by telling me to go search, or look at google, or stop wasting time. Every member had some constructive words, and now I can look back and laugh at the stoopid questions i used to ask.
We used to have a TPF calender, and one member would also take the time at the end of the year to have a "fun" TPF Awards contest....ya know...most influential, most consistant, and even most scary:lol::lol: Yeah, I think I won that back to back.
I seen hundreds of good people come and go, some for no reason at all but move on, some cause of the changing face of TPF, the good ones moving on to better places.
When I finally learned enough to carry my own in taking pictures, yeah, I was commenting on others, and was willing to help anyone. I even enjoyed the Sunday Fight Club, till somebody got "offended" by one of my images and wrote a nasty little letter. (you can lick my crotch by the way...you know who you are) :grumpy: New owners took over who dont really care....mods are none existant, there is no community feel here, and most cant take an honest comment, or give one without getting their backs up. I honestly believe the new owners would never attempt to make this better, and just keep it as a money machine, as everyone keeps subscribing....for what really?
Now I only poke in here every now and then, to see if any ol timers are hanging out, and cant even remember the last time I posted an image here.
Im not sure if this place could ever be the way it was or can be "fixed". It has overgrown, and been populated with people who are not interested in making a community.

Anyways....enough of this rant. Been down this road a few times, and it goes nowhere.
Back to the peace and quiet of my crypt.

Awe Chiller.... you miss the old days too? Just dug up two of my first threads way back when.. and yes... times were different. Oh well... I'm still hangin around

Most reactions

New Topics

Back