Where is the community at TPF?

My wife hates that I answer a lot of question in a "yes and no" kind of way but life is not B&W, it is shades of gray. A lot of points raised so far are valid. At the same time they are useless because some things about human nature cannot be changed in a group situation such as this forum.

For example, the critique problem. Yes, I agree that those coming from noobs who don't know jack about photography can be extremely annoying. Some noob just learned about the rule of third and will remind everyone in sight when they don't apply it with no understanding that rules are meant to be broken. ANNOYING! At the same time, how are they supposed to learn? They have to act like idiots like most of us more experienced people did once upon a time.

No forum is perfect but, to be honest, the ones that think they are better are not necessarily that at all. Go start your own forum and let us know how it works out.

I belong to 2 photo forums where you don't just join. Your work will be reviewed and you will only be let in if its quality satisfies the "board of admissions" or whoever decides. So yes, the quality of the work and the membership is much higher. Does it make those places better? NO. A noob would be so totally lost there that he would find them absolutely horrible. It's a matter of perspective.

But the noobs have to have a place to go too. Yes they ask stupid things and we probably asked the same stupid things at some point so, your question is kind of elitist. If you don't have the patience, and I'll agree that it can be taxing, it is time for you to move on.

Nothing wrong with either way you go but it's your decision and you shouldn't have to ask others about it. This community is what it is. Deal with it or leave it or find a way to deal with it that is livable. At least on a forum this big it is easy enough to avoid the people you really can't stand. Much harder on a place with just a few members.

I just left another forum for the second time because I couldn't deal with it. The first time I was "asked" to come back and I made the mistake of going back. Nothing had changed in a few weeks, obviously, so I'm gone again. Unfortunately, my leaving this time is not as friendly. And that is too bad because my having a problem with that place doesn't really mean it is a bad place. It just doesn't fit me but somebody else may very well find what they want there.

Same thing here. No, it is not perfect, but it is not half as bad as some people want to make it sound. You don't like it, fine. It just is not the place for you.

As for the drive-by posters, I don't get the problem. Just don't click on links from members with barely any posts, that's it. Done.

It does seem that a photographer in today’s society is nothing like a photographer 20 years ago. Now.... it seems the best guys are the ones with the most money.

{snip}

The sad thing is with the rapid advances in technology, we can only sit and watch as the rich people buy there kid a Nikon *D5 and take amazing images.
It's this kind of elitism that's ruining the hobby. The US vs THEM attitude. I couldn't care less how much money another photographer (or their father) has. So what. Class envy hurts everyone. I thought everyone knew that it's not the camera that takes an amazing picture, but the dude who's pressing the shutter release. Who is anyone here to say another photographer didn't work his ass off to scrape up the cash for a high end camera? There's no nobility in being poor and staying there. And so what if someone did buy someone else a nice camera? How exactly does that effect anyone else? That post reeks of middle-class envy and jealousy.

:thumbup: Absolutely 100% agree.

Sach, an idiot with 8x10 digital view camera is not going to take a better photo. If your photography doesn't match your expectations, at least have the balls to put the blame where it belongs: yourself.

BigTwinkey,

I like beer. That ought to be worth something?

Just kidding, I've seen a lot of very sarcastic C&C that looked more hurtful than helpful. Some of the people here, very few, but some seem to think that they were born with a camera sticking out of thier butts. If you get my drift. They seem arrogant, and have no time for "newb's". I'd just like to have known them when they got their hands on their first real camera.

As for me, well, I don't do a whole lot of C&C, but I like to participate in the other conversations and discussions, many of them very informative, and lot's of new (to me anyway) info. The reason I don't do a lot of C&C, is that a lot of if not most of this forum is Digital, and I just don't know the answer. I'll jump in if it's just an image question, such as composition, etc.

I hate to say this, but back to the first paragraph, well, I was just reading in another more film oriented site, about how a few people thought that some people here were self absorbed arrogant a** H****. Don't know if that's true or not, I'm just repeating what I read.

I contribute a little money though. I think rather than just "taking" from the site, that's a good way to give a little back, if you don't have the expertise to offer advice. Such as, I don't know diddly about wedding shoots, reviewing digital camera features, advanced photoshop techniques, etc. See where I'm going with this?.

Anyway, overall, I think 99% of the people here, try to bend over backwards to anyone with a legitimate question, or problem. It's one of the better forums of any type of subject matter, as far as people go, that I visit, with any kind of regularity.

Now if you REALLY want A**H***'s, you ought to visit some of the biker forums I frequent...:lol:

J.:mrgreen:

Im BBqing a penguin....wanna come over for dinner. :mrgreen:
I'll have a thigh...... oh wait, maybe a bre.............. nah, on second thought, I prefer the thigh...... and I know you know what I mean....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :lmao:

Oh yeah, I like it cooked slightly RAW like sushi.

Or maybe it just seems that way to me because I'm sober.
Does anyone have a corkscrew?
I actually just picked one up the other day. Betcha can't guess what it's shaped like. :p

Oh, and here are links to a few of the type of threads to which Hertz referred: nasal hair, British 'cuisine'

You're full of crap chiller, Santa ain't dead!, I just saw him at Wal-Mart, not more than 2 hours ago. See, that's what's wrong with this site. Lies, and Damned Lies!

I've seen threads like this as well. One was bumped for no apparent reason than the person saying "me too".

Another was bumped with some actually added value, then someone who I consider more of a troll told them off, which was not right.

Both of those were requests for CC, one was about HDR I believe.

What I'm referring to in searching older threads are things like
- which tripod should I buy
- which telephoto lens is the best
- how do I HDR
- any recommendations on sites to sell my photos on
- sites to sell prints from
- bags to buy
BT, this was adressed in a earlier post to this thread, but I think a lot of people new to forums don't actually know how to use the search feature, or that it even exists. I know that several years ago, I was in that same boat. I just pray to the lens god's that no one brings up another "which is better, Canon or Nikon" thread, new to the site or new to forums, they need to be shot, neutered or spayed!:lol:

It does seem that a photographer in today’s society is nothing like a photographer 20 years ago. Now.... it seems the best guys are the ones with the most money.

{snip}

The sad thing is with the rapid advances in technology, we can only sit and watch as the rich people buy there kid a Nikon *D5 and take amazing images.
It's this kind of elitism that's ruining the hobby. The US vs THEM attitude. I couldn't care less how much money another photographer (or their father) has. So what. Class envy hurts everyone. I thought everyone knew that it's not the camera that takes an amazing picture, but the dude who's pressing the shutter release. Who is anyone here to say another photographer didn't work his ass off to scrape up the cash for a high end camera? There's no nobility in being poor and staying there. And so what if someone did buy someone else a nice camera? How exactly does that effect anyone else? That post reeks of middle-class envy and jealousy.

:thumbup: Absolutely 100% agree.

Sach, an idiot with 8x10 digital view camera is not going to take a better photo. If your photography doesn't match your expectations, at least have the balls to put the blame where it belongs: yourself.

Wow... so hars!!! LOL.. I understand your point but you missed what I was saying. Any issue I have with my shots is my own fault and I know that. What I am trying to say is that people who fit that class are rude snobish and have an attitude that is crap. I am not selfish nor am I jealous. I completely see where you would feel this way towards me and I respect your opinon. It appears what I was trying to say came out wrong.... I hate when this happens. lol sorry. Im just saying ignorant snobish people ruin forums is all.

Wow... so hars!!! LOL.. I understand your point but you missed what I was saying. Any issue I have with my shots is my own fault and I know that. What I am trying to say is that people who fit that class are rude snobish and have an attitude that is crap. I am not selfish nor am I jealous. I completely see where you would feel this way towards me and I respect your opinon. It appears what I was trying to say came out wrong.... I hate when this happens. lol sorry. Im just saying ignorant snobish people ruin forums is all.[/QUOTE]

My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Keep in mind though that we all are ignorant in some ways and we are all snobbish in some ways too. And I have seen no difference in that whether on the internet or in real life. In my understanding of life, these people ruin way more than forums. But only if you let them. :)

:( Uh oh! That sounds a little too much like Hannibal Lecter 'having an old friend for dinner!' You're not serving it with fava beans and a nice chianti, are you?

I'll have a thigh...... oh wait, maybe a bre.............. nah, on second thought, I prefer the thigh...... and I know you know what I mean....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :lmao:

You're just trying to bait me. But I shall rise above it. :p

You're just trying to bait me. But I shall rise above it. :p
I'll bite......

It truely was the worst I could find of a great song. :sexywink:

Oh wait a minute...... rise...... engage brain........

Fail at the moment, still working on it......................​

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or are there two separate threads going on in here? The interesting, intellectual one and the one bitching about the lack of community and the number of DVP's? :lol:

Breasts are good man. I like breasts, hell, even tried to grow a pair of my own. :lol::lol: They are good eats.

I actually just picked one up the other day. Betcha can't guess what it's shaped like. :p

Oh, and here are links to a few of the type of threads to which Hertz referred: nasal hair, British 'cuisine'

You're full of crap chiller, Santa ain't dead!, I just saw him at Wal-Mart, not more than 2 hours ago. See, that's what's wrong with this site. Lies, and Damned Lies!

Hah...he has been cold and hanging in my crawlspace for a while now. Takes 2 hooks to hold up the fat p. That one you saw was an imposter...somebodies drunk uncle or something. :lol::lmao::lol:

:( Uh oh! That sounds a little too much like Hannibal Lecter 'having an old friend for dinner!' You're not serving it with fava beans and a nice chianti, are you?

. :p

I dont know who Chianti is, but if she is blond, and has nice....never mind. There are lot of kids on this forum. :lol::lol::lol:

Is it me or are there two separate threads going on in here? The interesting, intellectual one and the one bitching about the lack of community and the number of DVP's? :lol:
Maybe a mod can split them into two threads. :lol: oh wait...there are no mods here. :lol::lmao::lol: Put on the coffee bro, Im up way past my bed time, and have to get up in 3 hours to shoot a horror movie set...go figure. :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back