WHERE is the sensor on my 300D???

voodoocat said:
In that case, I would just shoot the sunset. Dry q-tips is not a good idea at all. It takes like 2 seconds to use the healing brush in PS to get rid of the dust. I've done paid photoshoots with all sorts of dust on the sensor and just removed it in PS.

True....

the problem is, I am still learning PS :lol:

Like I said, I dont recommend anyone does it (especially if they cant afford to screw up their camera) but it did work for me.

the reason I posted about it was to back up the claim that the filter in front of the sensor is pretty hard to scratch.

I have only used a q-tip once, now I use pecpads and eclipse cleaning solution.

WSP said:
What the heck do you guys do with your cameras that the sensors get so dusty?? I've shot my 300d for almost two years and my 20d for six months (as a professional--I put 1000+ frames a day through them sometimes) and have never had to clean the sensor. :shock::shock:

As my best friend says "I live in the middle of a cornfield". And it doesn't help that my apartment is REALLY REALLY old and REALLY REALLY dusty. I'm guessing that's the reason for me.

Here's an example of the dust on mine...

Not so blue skies...
notsoblueskies.jpg

Oh...and I already ordered one of those rocket blowers! :)

Oh...and I already ordered one of those rocket blowers!
I never had any luck with blowers. They just blow the dust around the camera. Gets on the viewfinder and doesn't do much to get the dust off the sensor. This is the best method.

corry thats an assload of dust for being such a new camera. do you store it securely someplace? do you leave the lens on or take it off? my 10D was used and had over 8000 shots already and nowhere near that kinda dust.

md

MDowdey said:
corry thats an assload of dust for being such a new camera. do you store it securely someplace? do you leave the lens on or take it off? my 10D was used and had over 8000 shots already and nowhere near that kinda dust.

md

I generally keep it in the camera back in my living room, and always leave the lense on.

MDowdey said:
strange.

i just have never seen it that prevalent before.

my 20d had dust that bad after about 400 shots, and I never once removed the lens during that time period.

I kinda think the dust gets in somewhere else on the camera, as I have been having serious dust issues, even though I dont change lenses too often, and I always change them with the camera off, and pointing down.

triggerhappy said:
Dead easy :D

All you need is a rocket blower. I have a d70, but the procedure is much the same. Do a mirror lockup (or cleaning lockup - something like that) and take your lense off. If you look into the back of your camera, you'll see a shiny rectangle - your sensor. Simply face the camera downwards and give it a couple of squirts of air. Job done :D

There are more serious cleaning options
1. take it to canon
2. clean it yourself with specially made cleaning pads.

However, try the rocket blower first as it always works for me and the other options are more expensive or risky respectively.

One more point. I wouldn't try using a pipet or anything home-made to clean the sensor. I've known a couple of people to do that and it turned out that there was a fine layer of dust on the inside of the pipet. That ended up making the sensor 100 times worse and had to be sent to canon for cleaning. The rocket blower is great and has a filter to stop it 'breathing' in dust.

Gotto thank Trig for this post cause I bought a similar one of those rocket blower things callled the Hama, and its cleand my mirror wonderfully!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ive had 20d dust problems too, one day it was fine when i used it, the next day full of dust, and i hadnt even removed the lense between that time, must be getting in somehow. A blower done the job fine tho

JohnMF said:
ive had 20d dust problems too, one day it was fine when i used it, the next day full of dust, and i hadnt even removed the lense between that time, must be getting in somehow. A blower done the job fine tho

Yep, same deal here, one day its fine, then the next day it has TONS of dust spots. This is all without ever removing the lens. I have a feeling it is getting in through the buttons or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back