Where to and where not to shop online?

sdesha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right spot for it, but I didn't know where else to put this topic. I have heard bad things about ppl getting scammed on the internet. I am looking to purchase a new camera. and the places i have heard that are safe are the more high end price. Is it worth buying off these sites for the price? and is bargaining out of the question? does this make any sense?

this one site i found the product at a better price...

www.digitalsaver.com

I am a shop freak on the internet but have never purchased cameras on it, only in stores...please tell me what you think.

People get scammed all the time. The best places to shop online are from reputable places. Two of the better places are sponsors of this very club:

www.adorama.com
and
www.bhphoto.com

I have bought from both of these places and was very happy. Even if you do not purchase from these people, use their prices as a sanity check. You may get deals that are a LITTLE less than here, but if you start to see prices that are too good to be true... guess what... they will be.

Finally, don't purchase ANYTHING from anyone that has poor ratings on www.resellerratings.com unless you want to be scammed.

As far as your site (digitalsavers.com) is concerned... that place doesn't participate in letting people sahre their experiences... but going to rule #2... if prices are too good to be true, they usually are... well using that rule, this place just SCREAMS scammer (how many people out there are selling new $3300 D700s for $1899??)

I'd pass on it.... no, wait... I'd run, and run away fast.

HAHA! Thanks...I just needed some to say DONT! haha...I will check those sites out.

And if anyone else has other places I would love to know...

please and thank you so much!

There is no checking them out, I can tell you who to buy from.....B&H...listen...B&H! They are without a doubt the best store to purchase your photo gear from, that is who gets all my money for sure. They send your itams out right away and tell you a dilivery date that is dead on. You use B&H prices to judge all the other stores to see if they are rip offs and even if you find an itam a little cheaper somewere els you are still much better off getting it from B&H! They also have a Sagemax Extended warrenty that convers everything includeing what you do to your equiptment and it is very well priced!

Really...go to B&H's website and stay there!

Oh on the used thing, most of the time you aren't going to save that that much money but if you insist on buying used then get it from B&H and you should be good, I don't know if you can get the Sagemax warrenty buying used or not but if you can then do so and you are covered!:)

Thats where my mother in law keeps telling me to get it...So I will just wait and save the extra 100 that it will coast. thank you so much for the input! Hopeful by xmas I will have my camera and my lenses...i think i might go head and buy lense b4 the camera its self...lol

thanks!

Oh it is well worth the extra money!

By they way what be you getting??

Rebel XTi! My husband told me that I have been doing great and that he thinks its time I upgrade...=D He currently deployed so i think he knows that taking pictures keeps me going...But im excited....

Well congrats other than the fact it is a Canon (Just kidding:) only because I shoot Nikon:), yes it will help keep you busy especially if you have 500 photos to edit:) Were you useing a P&S before? If so it is a big step.

I have bought from adorama, B&H and many times form Amazon. I have had no problems from any of them other than the dedicated lens hood from Adorama for my canon lens was crap. (shoulda bought the Canon version).

However, my wife bought me a Rebel XTi from fotoconnection last Christmas. Well, after months of fighting with the credit card company and fotoconnection, we only ended up paying double for the camera. STAY AWAY FROM FOTOCONNECTION!

Derrick

As far as used, I personally am very hesitant to purchase used unless I can hold the part in my hand before forking over any cash, which you can only do if it is local, and even then, I prefer new over even very lightly used if I can help it.

B&H and Adorama are two of the better rated places. In my eyes they are the same. Sometimes Adorama offers free shipping for a item that is priced the same as something on B&H and other times their shipping is overpriced. Check it out before making a decision.

To be fair, KEH has a reputation of being accurate with their ratings of used equipment and price their items quite fairly.

Well congrats other than the fact it is a Canon (Just kidding:) only because I shoot Nikon:), yes it will help keep you busy especially if you have 500 photos to edit:) Were you useing a P&S before? If so it is a big step.

I am using a FUJI finePix S700...haha...It takes good pictures but I want my photos in RAW and this camera does not do that, along with lenses I want a better lens this one has a 10X zoom but I want something better...haha

Why not consider brands other than Canon? I like the solid semi-professional feel of the Pentax K200D compared to the cheap light feel of the Rebel. The pentax also feels much better balanced when a larger lens is on. In addition, the new pentax 18-55 II (the new one, not the one on dpreview) has optical quality at least as good as if not better than the canon and is undeniably far better built with a proper focus ring and a non rotating front element.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back