where to buy a camera insurance?

tissa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I jsut got my very first DSLR and I would want to be protected from any kind of accident (loss, thief, damade). Where do people buy insurances for their cameras and what insurances are good?

I do not know if it matters or not, but I am a citizen of Russia and I got my camera in the USA. I reside in the USA right now, but there is a chance that I will be going back to Russia in august (i do not know if it matters for insurance companies).

P.S. I am not a professional, I just like photography a lot and it is my hobby.

Personal property, like a camera, can usually be insured under a home owner's or renter's insurance. Some policies will cover your possessions even when they are not in your home.

If you don't have owner's/renter's insurance, you may be able to just insure your camera specifically. I don't know if you will find a policy that will cover you both in the US and in Russia, so you might need to find a new company when you go back.

I'd suggest that you just start calling insurance companies. Call 4 or 5 of them and ask what sort of policy they can give you.

I am an insurance agent, and i'm actually in Oklahoma as well. There is a policy that you can purchase from almost any major insurance company called and Inland Marine Policy. What it does is schedule out your property so and covers it for every peril out there (for most companies anyway). the price of this policy is very cheap and there is usually no deductible. You can put almost anything of value on this type of policy, Jewelry, Cell phones, laptops, guns, Camera or sports equipment ect.

Now, the other great thing about this policy is that it will cover your property anywhere on the planet. as long as you didn't cause damage to the property with intent you will be covered.

if you need more info PM me.

I have "riders" attached to my renters insurance which cover my wifes engagement ring and guns that I own. . .Haven't put my camera on there yet, but probably will soon. I think I pay $7 for my wifes ring and like $2 for guns a month. Worth the cost. . .

I don't know about your situation with being in country temporarily, but make some calls.

A rider on my homeowner's is 1.4% declared value annually ($14 per $1000), which is total replacement with no deductible, no matter what happens to the equipment.

Last edited:
My suggestion is you may contact your insurance agent to resolve this problem.

Digital cameras and professional photographic equipment can be very expensive so getting adequate camera insurance is a must. However, finding the right digital camera insurance can be as complicated a decision as buying the right camera in the first place.
I believe search engines would be the best choice to find the right one...Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back