Where to buy a camera?

The online places are great but don't forget your local camera shops(not one).

But there is only one camera shop where we are, and their selection isn't great. The closest place for me to shop is 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. So 3 to 4 hours round trip. so right now, my best option is online.

yeah and its mostly the best option. I only have best buy, ritz, etc. All non chain shops closed around where I am.

Get online I was just throwing it out there.

Never ever ever ever ever ever buy from eBay or Craigslist. OK... use eBey only if you wanna get burned. Stick with Adorama, or B+H Photo, or Fredmiranda.com -buy and sell forum. That's a hard lesson learned that I am imparting for you my friend.
Folks, unless we are recalling stories of having seen the sun-rise, anecdotal evidence isn't a substitution for overall customer satisfaction. For the great MAJORITY of people, ebay is a perfectly fine method to get your product, so long as a person uses common sense:

Dont go purchasing camera equipment from someone who recently registered and has been selling doilies for the past month.

Be wary of any auction that can't take the time to provide product photos - even camera phone photos - of the item.

Always check shipping/insurance. Do not allow someone to pad their profit line by gouging on shipping fees.
If you can, communicate with the seller BEFORE placing a bid.

And of course, use the eBay stores.

As for CL - I can't even see WHY someone would denigrate it. You are standing there checking out the product on your own. Only meet during the day, at a comfortable location, and if you can help it dont bring the cash with you (or put it in a spot where the person isn't like to see. . .your backpocket is NOT that spot). I see a ton of camera ads in your area. No shipping, and you can inspect the product before you buy.

Amazon is cool to purchase from, but you aren't likely to get that great of a deal. For lenses and maybe storage sure. However, if you do find a good deal on Amazon, and haven't signed up for their Amazon Prime trial - do so. 399 overnight shippig. Profit.

As for brick and mortars - only ones in my area are Ritz and another one (can't think of the name. . .maybe Pardee's - or do they make Ice Cream). As nice as it is to frequent in-store joints, the prices just aren't good enough. Not worth spending that premium to "support the little guy".

Allenscamera - a product catalog would be nice. Persoanlly I wouldn't want to spend minutes on the phone with someone figuring out prices (and I dunno about other people, but I like to just browse a joint to internet "window shop").

The online places are great but don't forget your local camera shops(not one).

Places keep closing around me.

I buy online but am thinking I might spend more just to support.

I used to feel this way until I actually went into my local camera store (Ritz doesn't count). After getting glared at, basically laughed at when I asked about finding a replacement body cap for a K-mount camera, and given instructions on how to reach the nearest ATM when I tried to buy film with a debit card, I have no qualms about ordering online.

The infamous Allen's, however, is within a half hour of my house, so I'll have to investigate next time I'm there.

All I can say is "I'm glad I live nowhere near B&H!!" And if I visit NY City, I'm leaving my credit card home. Too much "kid in candy store" type deal.

LOVE B&H!!!

I do not think you will find many/any negatives about Adorama nor B&H.

I'm a sucker for punishment. I still go to Ritz, hoping they carry something, anything so I can touch then buy. NO LUCK :( I asked for Stroboframe and got pointed to corner where they have digital photo frames.

Most reactions

Back