Where to buy lenses??????

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by obx, Apr 25, 2010.

1. obx

obx TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Where do you guys and girls purchase your lenses????? Give me some websites, please!!!!! And tell me why you get it from there???? Thanks

2. rusty9

rusty9 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    1st choice is a local brick and mortar photography shop if the price is within 10% +/- of B&H's price. With the brick and mortar I can shoot the lens before I buy and make sure I like the copy I am getting. Also, while I have, do and will continue to by from B&H, and understand, their service has always been good, I live 1,000 miles from their store. My local store is 4.2 miles away. I get direct and immediate service when I walk in the door. Service is worth a few extra dollars when you have have a shoot and a particular needed lens goes down.

If my brick and mortar store's prices are too far out of line then my choice is B&H. They have always been good to their word on stock, price, shipping and taking care of any issues. If there is an issue, I just have to deal with it over the phone and with the time lag that brown causes. They are a well respected business in the photographic world. There are others, I just don't have experience with them like I do B&H so I will let others speak of them.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    All of my lenses have come through B/H. Why? Well, I have no brick store w/in a reasonable drive and even if I did, I shoot Pentax and most brick stores don't generally stock Pentax. So, I've spent about $3k in lenses w/ B/H. They're a top notch store. Their prices are second to none. Even w/ free shipping I get my goods in about 2 days. They're honest, etc. The only other place I've bought lenses from was on Ebay once from Henry's ebay store. (B/H was closed for Easter I think at the time, and was out of stock anyway on the 77mm f/1.8 limited).

5. lukedarma

lukedarma TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I usually get it from Amazon. If the lens is not in stock there, then I go to B&H, Calumet or Adorama. Here are 2 lenses that I recommend for beginners:

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC - excellent for just about any subject and for beginning photography - Review at Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD (IF) Macro Review | Tamron Lens Review - $80 rebate

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC - a lens that will take your photography to the next level - Review at Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Asph. (IF) Review | Tamron Lens Review - $25 rebate

6. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another vote for Adorama (www.adorama.com) and B&H (B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders).

Why? Excellent past experiences and consistently competitive prices.

They both also have gray market items (clearly marked on the web pages) at a slight discount if that's of interest to you (I've never tried those, but presumably they are similar to the US market items other than the warranty).

7. henryp

henryp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am grateful to all here for your kind words and gracious recommendations. Thank you.

8. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No local store so its B&H for me. I live in smallville alberta and it only took 4 days shipping. Super fast. Only con is I need to spend more to make my shipping justifiable lol.

9. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I live in Cleveland which is the hometown of Dodd Camera. Their big warehouse and store are less than 20 minutes away and they stock just about anything I'd want.

Online (if needed) I go with B&H.