Where to buy when living in British Columbia.

luckofthedraw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for a Nikon D600 or D610 in British Columbia.

Where to buy from new? Future shop, best buy or amazon, ebay?

Also where to buy from used, and how to avoid getting a lemon. craigslist?

This purchase is for my wife....i need to buy this within the next two months.

Thanks.

Buy D600/D610, you are a good husband!!!
Buying in BC shouldnt be differenct then buying in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada.
I assume Henrys isnt just in Ontario but all over Canada so they are the first place I would go to.
I bought my new camera only about a month ago in Future shop so they are a good place too, Best Buy is ok.
As for used I bought my used Nikon D60 of kijiji but craigslist will be just as good, its all about the seller and how honest he or she is.
Always is a risk factor when buying used but I think in most cases when the price is right it is worth the risk, saying that I bought a used Sigma lens that I got seriously burned with :(
Bring a lens and tell seller to have battery charged, take few shots to see camera is operating well, look well at it and inspect it, bottom line use common sense and if it smells Kosher then go for it, if something feels wrong then WALK AWAY!

Good luck and Happy Holidays :)

Thanks. I just checked. Henry's is an east coast thing. I have bought from future shop before, I suppose that's where I will go again. I can't really seem to find a deal on a camera, almost everyone asks very similar in price for them. Kijiji does seem a bit risky....

What warranty does Nikon offer(in canada)? As far as cameras go, how are people finding the D600 series...I know it's a few years old now. Are there better up and coming products in the same price range?

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely not the camera guy, however I am looking forward to possibly taking over her D3100 when she gets a new camera.

Cheers

For new gear, check photoprice.ca--usually updated but worth checking local stores across the country. As usual for new cameras/lenses check at Nikon.ca and make sure you're buying from an authorized Nikon dealer. This matters if you need warranty or any other kind of repair service. Nikon.ca warranties bodies for 2 yrs and lenses for 5yrs. No need to buy locally if better prices are available outside BC. Bestbuy/Futureshop will price match, too. Henry's used/refurb/open box gear has never given me a nano-second of grief.

I'd avoid a D600 due to its history of defects. The D610 is another story. There may be some deals over Xmas/New Years. D7100 prices are dropping if you could use a DX body.

I'd stay away from craigslist, Kijiji or local sales.

Thow are people finding the D600 series...I know it's a few years old now. Are there better up and coming products in the same price range?

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely not the camera guy, however I am looking forward to possibly taking over her D3100 when she gets a new camera.

Cheers
Performance wise the D600/D610 are wonderful cameras, they have an awesome sensor on them which in its class is still leading compared all other sensors second only to the D800/D810 which is a DR powerhouse but in low light the D600 sensor is actually slightly better.
There is a potential problem with the D600 which is oil and dust sticking to the sensor, Nikon has a way to find this and they will replace mechanism for free, this way you can get a used camera with a brand new mechanism but it means running to their service center, the D610 has solved this problem is as far as I know considered a very good reliable camera.

D3100 compared to the D610 is a very weak camera but still its a nice camera, if you are not a serious photography buff I believe you will enjoy this camera a lot.

FYI camera body is just one item in a long list of other accessories a photographer needs.
To get good sharp pictures you will need good fast glass, you can use kit lenses and they can produce good sharp images but in lower lighting situation it is recommended to own fast glass.

Most places will price match, so find a local store that has a price match policy and then look across Canada for a better price (usually has to be an actual store), and just ask your store to match the price.

Seeing as you're in B.C., I would suggest looking at London Drugs for new gear. They have a great photo department and a price match policy.

I have long been buying gear on-line from B&H but with our dollar dropping, the exchange rate won't be helpful.

As for buying used, you could try Craigslist or Kijiji etc. As for how to avoid a lemon, just use your common sense, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is....and test it out before you buy it etc.

Where in BC?

I second Mike's recommendation for London Drugs. If you're on Vancouver Island/Lower Mainland you have a few more options. Lens and shutter has a branch in Kelowna.

There is also Kerrisdale Cameras in Victoria and lower mainland.

Thanks. I just checked. Henry's is an east coast thing. I have bought from future shop before, I suppose that's where I will go again. I can't really seem to find a deal on a camera, almost everyone asks very similar in price for them. Kijiji does seem a bit risky....

What warranty does Nikon offer(in canada)? As far as cameras go, how are people finding the D600 series...I know it's a few years old now. Are there better up and coming products in the same price range?

Cheers

I live in BC and have ordered from Henry's multiple times. In fact, I just ordered a light stand and umbrella and they are on their way. Plus, they had a deal on free shipping.

Do not hesitate to buy from them just because they are out east.

London Drugs is also another good option. I print a lot of my images through them as well.

Is Leo's still in business in Vancouver? My family has bought stuff there for decades, but the last think I got was handful of 35mm film maybe.. 6 years ago.

Where in BC?

I second Mike's recommendation for London Drugs. If you're on Vancouver Island/Lower Mainland you have a few more options. Lens and shutter has a branch in Kelowna.

I'm in Kamloops, but I frequent both the lower mainland and Kelowna so I can shop around.

Most reactions

Back