where to find discussions or articles about back&White

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by Rere, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Rere

Rere TPF Noob!

In NC, but currently my husband and I are workcamp
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi All,

I didn't post any photos, but was wondering if there's a discussion about Black and White Photography on this site?

One question that I'd really like to ask is if there's a time when burned out highlights are ever acceptable? I find myself doing all I can to avoid or remedy them. Other views?????

Rere

2. Scruff McGruff

Scruff McGruff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't mind some blown highlights, as long as it's intentional/unavoidable and works with the image. I'm also not an expert, though, so I may be in the minority here... :)

3. Stogie

Stogie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you really want to get good at B&W, you need to study the zone system. If your interested, send me a private message. I can point you in the right direction.

4. Rere

Rere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Stogie, but I'm learning by doing. Do you do much Bl&W?

5. Stogie

Stogie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Believe me Rere, the zone system is learning by doing. :) There's really not alot to learn about it, but you will shoot alot of film while learning. I'm not sure if I can post links here, but I will send you a private message with a couple of links that have tons of B&W stuff. To answer your original question about blown out highlights, its not acceptable to have blown out highlights or to much black in your photos. I know thats hard to do sometimes, but thats were patience pays. I read an article the other day about Clyde Butcher, famous landscape photographer, he was shooting a sand dune and after 5 days he finally saw the right light and got to shoot 2 frame before the light was gone. Patience pays

6. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Areas of featureless black or white can be acceptable graphic elements within the picture, but it is up to the photographer to decide their acceptability. When I started back in the 60's, graphic 'soot and whitewash' was not uncommon, particularly in eastern Europe.

Whether you use the full-on Zone System, or just use the basic understanding of exposure and development implicit in the ZS is up to you. The ZS is just one tool, but the underlying principles are common to other exposure and development methods.

The idea is that for B&W film the exposure determines the amount of shadow detail that is recorded, and the development determines the dynamic range and contrast - ie how much highlight detail is recorded. The next step is turning the resultant range of negative densities into an acceptable print (or whatever).

The greater the exposure, the more shadow detail is recorded. The greater the development, the less highlight detail is available.

Best,
    Helen

7. ChrisOquist

ChrisOquist TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stogie, can you publish some links to the resources on Zone System on this thread? I'd be interested too - it seems like it might be good to have here.

Thanks!

8. Stogie

Stogie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Chris, I'm more than happy to post a couple of links for you. Before you start studying the zone system, go out and take a picture of something that has all of the tones from pure black to pure white. When you finish your studies of the zone system, go back and take the same picture of the same subject. You will be amazed at the improvements of the image. Not only does the zone system give you better control of your photography, it makes you slow down and study your subject in more detail. Once you learn the zone system, you will know what your print is going to look like before you click the shutter.

Here are a couple of sites that may benefit you.

Terry Staler
    http://www.earthscenics.com/manuals/zoneman_8_11_05.pdf

Luminus Landscape
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/zone_system.shtml

You might want to pickup a copy of the 'Negative' by Ansel Adams.

9. Rere

Rere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Stogie,

I tried to send you a p e-mail a couple of days ago thanking you for the links and advise, but it came back.

Thanks so much!!!!!
    Rere