Where to get a Photography Education in Australia?

InTheShoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have given a lot of thought recently to really pushing forward with my photography - I am mostly interested in portraiture.
I am interested in getting a formal education, and have just missed next years intake for our local university - and I would rather get into something sooner than later.
Is anyone here from Australia? What other options are available?
There are some distance and online options from private education institutes as well as institutes dedicated to just photography such as the institute of photography - these offer certificates and associate diplomas and are very expensive - is this worthwhile or do I just do what I can through online and books until I can get into Uni?

From my line of work, I have met many "lecturers" in various institutions.

The best tip is to be an avid reader for basic stuff. Participate in various forums and join up various camera clubs in your own city: flickr group, camera clubs or brand-specific outing.

A lot of apprenticeships are more useful than the courses available in institutions.

If your going to start paying for lessons I would avoid most distance and internet based courses. With effort on your part and self motivation a few good forums can give the same amount of advice and help for free -- also when your paying you really want advice on the stop before you shoot - distance learning is always going to be a post event based one. This is limiting also in that the people commenting weren't there at the time of the shoot - so it takes longer for you to get familier with methods to use in different lighting.

If you can't find a teacher do as suggested above - shadowing or appreticing to another photographer locally to you is another good way to get experience and learn. Most of these groups though are going to want you to have a decent grasp of the basics and controls of the camera first though - to make sure that you are a keen learner and not just someone who will get in the way and be a pain.

To be honest, there are a lot of 'fine art' degrees around here... I'd steer away.

Most courses are found in Brisbane and Melbourne. I'd recommend RMIT: RMIT - Photography – Bachelor of Arts

BA in photography. Just that they're also focused on the business side of it, which is extremely important nowadays.

Others... they're focused on the arty-arty side of it all... yeah, but you know, it's a business world out there too.

Otherwise, PSC (photography studies college) isn't bad either. The BSPA (Brisbane school of photography and art) seems okay, but quite focused too on fine arts.

Thanks for the input. As far as Uni goes, I have to study at the local one as I have a family and my husband has a business here - hence the inquiry into online/distance. I am very dedicated, so perhaps for now I will study through the many resources available for free online (forums etc) and then apply to the local uni next year if I feel that's what I need to do.
I could inquire into "shadowing" or apprenticeships when I am more confident in my abilities also - I am from a relatively rural area though and apprenticeships are scarce - but hopefully in time my portfolio will make that a possibility!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back