Where to get used gear

eniven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Where do you get used gear? Is there a good online used photography gear website? I did some google searching, but didn't come up with a whole lot...

B&H and Adorama both have used gear. Also try craigslist. I got my 40D and 70-200 f/2.8 IS off of it. Remember to meet locally ;)

ebay.com
adorama.com
keh.com
craigslist.org
bhphotovideo.com

For places like Ebay and Craigslist its always best to source as locally as you can so that you can view the item in question - especailly true once you start to spend serious money on the product.
With ebay you can get a bit of insurance by reviewing the history of a members comments for a feel of how they operate.

But also don't forget your local camera shops - many of them will stock used gear as well and are worth a look as well.

I've bought stuff on e-bay (lenses, teleconverters, tripod, etc.) without problems (touch wood).

Hmm, I've always steered away from refurbished stuff... Not for any REAL reason in particular though. Somehow refurb stuff just seemed shady to me.

Maybe some others can chime in... Do you prefer refurbished over used?

Refurb on places like Adorama and B&H is often more of a safe bet than brand new camera gear since its been to the factory and custom repaired and tuned (as opposed to batch tested for on the shelf gear). It should be very safe to use and I belive it even comes with a warrenty also.

^^ That's the way I've always looked at it. May not be the way it really works lol. I've never had a piece of bad refurb gear though. 1.7x teleconverter for $300 and full mfg warranty. :D can't beat that.

You can also find used gear on Amazon.com.

I recently picked up a used copy of a lens I wanted, that was everywhere out of stock, new. It worked out in my favor. I saved $130, so I bought 2 more 285HV's too.

Hmm, I've always steered away from refurbished stuff... Not for any REAL reason in particular though. Somehow refurb stuff just seemed shady to me.

At Adorama Camera, there is a big difference between our refurbished and used departments.
The used equipment we hold in stock has been purchased from members of the public. Refurbished items are delivered to us directly by the manufacturer who has carried out the refurbishment therefore they have all been restored to the exact manufacturer specifications.

All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer. A refurbished unit from Adorama may be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

A refurb can also have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurbished item will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

In the past Adorama warranted Canon refurbished units for 90 days; since 1st May, all come with a 1 year return-to-Adorama warranty; 14 days from date of receipt for a full refund, and the balance for repair or replacement.

The warranty we give covers anything the manufacturers warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects.

All other refurbished units come with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.

I hope this helps, but do let me know if I can help with anything else.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Refurb on places like Adorama and B&H is often more of a safe bet than brand new camera gear since its been to the factory and custom repaired and tuned (as opposed to batch tested for on the shelf gear). It should be very safe to use and I belive it even comes with a warrenty also.

All good points. Don't confuse manufacturer's refurbs with a retailer's open-box or demo (or used) merchandise. They're all safe bets if you're buying from a reputable shop and not from "Pirates-R-Us," but as this post notes, refurbs get a careful individual scrutiny before they go out to a retailer.

Does anyon have experience with Manfrotto Gimbal head 393? I'm lookin to buy one instead of Jobu or Wimberly

I have 3 refurbished digitals the oldest now 5 years old. And have not had a single problem with any of them. I also have 3 new digitals and as well no issues with them either. So, in my case the money savings with the refurbished cameras has paid off. Normally I will buy a new model and a refurbished model as a back up. Even though have had good luck with refurb's still like to have 1 new camera to work with. Don't know why, mental thing most likely.

Most reactions

Back