Where to Print

Trevor Kiddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I guess this goes here. I heard that using a professional photo lab is preferable for printing, but where should I go? Are there any online retailers who can provide professional quality? What's the cheapest option?

Don't know where you are located ... maybe adding that will give others a better idea of who to recommend.
These are the pro labs that are used by Smugmug:
Which print labs are available through my SmugMug account?

I don't use any of them because none of them are based in Australia ... but BayPhoto seems to have an excellent reputation.

Oh my! That could have been useful~ I live in the United States (Tennessee to be more exact)

Shutterfly does prints, the presses are highly calibrated to sRGB color space using x-rite calibration system. I know this because I used to do the calibration. Now I just print at home using the same calibration system on my digital printer and frame with museum glass that blocks uv light that fades prints.

District Photo also does this, my old boss is the head tech there now.

Watchful.
What kind of prints? C-prints, inkjet, or both?
What brand/model of printer(s) does Shutterfly use?
Fuji Frontier, Noritsu, Durst Lambda, etc.

Some of the high production rate minilab type machines, like the Fuji Frontier LP 7700 have an automatic calibration feature.

I would recommend Nations Photo Lab.

They all have online calibration feature, its called an inline spectrophotometer or ISP.
what I used to do is called baseline calibrations.

Well since you don't list your location it makes this a bit more difficult. If you are in any decent sized city, look for local photo printers. No walmart, walgreens etc. but actual photo labs. We have an excellent one here in my city of 450,000 that is my first choice. The in person ability to discuss what you want is a plus.

If you need to use an online service, you might examine Mpix, Simply Color Lab, ProDPI or UniAlbums. All quality labs for the profession and amateur alike.

Going to a lab sadly is not an option due to the fact I don't live anywhere near a city... Thanks for all the resources though! Bayphoto and Nationsphotolab look promising, but I'll continue to shop around.

What is the basic and/or major difference between automatic calibration feature and baseline calibrations for minilab type machines.

Going to a lab sadly is not an option due to the fact I don't live anywhere near a city... Thanks for all the resources though! Bayphoto and Nationsphotolab look promising, but I'll continue to shop around.

I've been using Nations for the last 6 months, and have nothing but great things to say about them. Fantastic quality, turn around, and customer service. Had a recent order of 2 16x20 mounted prints. When they came in the box had been dropped on a corner, slightly crushing one corner of the prints. When I called customer service they said "we are sending out replacements". No argument, no questions. Not only did they send replacements at no charge, but paid to ship them next day FedEx. Great company.

Most reactions

Back