Where you buy compared to location...

cnutco

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in the day I use to be picky about the stores or vendors I buy from. Now a days it depends on where I am and where the store is located.

I am going to buy a SB-600 today and I have decided that I will be getting from Wolf Camera for $10 more than a place that I would buy it from before. It is amazing that the price of GAS can influence where you buy.

Are you making decisions of where you buy, (anything) based on gas?

I like to buy locally when it makes sense. For one, if we don't support local stores, they may not be there when we need them. Also, if I have any problems, it's easy to just walk back into the store and talk to someone, rather than trying to communicate with someone in NYC.

That being said, my local stores are usually a lot more expensive that B&H or Adorama, even with shipping & currency conversion factored in.

As for buying from a specific local shop, because it's closer...not really an issue here because the two biggest camera stores are within a block of one another. One of them has several mall outlets, but they aren't well stocked for real camera gear.

I prefer my local store over a chain store. Simply because the people in the local store are more friendly and they know my name!

I buy from local stores if the price is within a reasonable difference. However, with most things, especially with camera gear you can easily save a few hundred bucks by shopping online. As much as I want to support the little guy, the amount of money you can save by waiting a couple days for it to ship is too much to pass up. Unfortunately this sucks for the little guy who can never compete in a million years.

Most of my equipment has come from B&H, and everything else I buy in life I check Amazon first. Great customer service if anything goes wrong from both companies in my experiences.

In the UK I've yet to find a cheap / decent online camera store. Amazon is more expensive than my local camera shop. Jessops in another option.

If I order from the US a $390 lens the cost jumps up to $680 and that is with basic shipping!

I advocate the use of local and locally owned stores all the time and not just for photo things. Yeah, I'm one of those people :lmao:

But, the only photo store I had where I lived until recently was a Wolf/Ritz which 1/ is not locally owned and, 2/ has barely anything worth looking at so, I bought online after calling my old photo store if they didn't have what I was looking for.. The next closest physical store was 2 1/4 hour drive away.

When I bought my camera and extra lens I did consider buying it on-line but I went to a local store (20 minutes away) and they were pretty inexpensive compared to what I saw on-line; they beat most prices by $100 - I didn't haggel with them for that price. Also, they informed me that my 2nd lens had a $200 instant rebate if I bought it at the same time as the camera. I was pleased with my experience with them.

Your question if gas plays into where I buy ... yes it does, I have a company car and they pay for the gas although I do pay a flat fee for personal usage. All I need to invest is my time and tolls, if any (usually avoid tolls on personal time), it might be a different story if I needed to pay for the gas I use.

I tend to go on a purchase by purchase process rather than having a set pattern. Before the recession I was little more free, but now I find that I really am chasing the best deals (read looking online rather than on the highstreet) simply because I still remember all the old prices for stuff I was after - so everything looks like a ripoff.

Generally though I go where the best deal is - also when making large purchases I do try to talk to smaller shops and store managers of chainstores (like in Jessopes) to see if a large purchase can get me some money off discount. Infact most of my gear comes from Jessopes where with a store discount price was the same as the best online with shipping (and that was far better than dealing with 3 or 4 reputable online retailers all at once).

I do try local stores as I do greatly prefer their customer service - but when things get to being £100 in difference I also have to consider my own wallet as well. There are one or two things that I will get on import because of the very high UK price (actually its mostly the canon twinflash macro lights ..... I can get two 580EX2 for the same price in the UK!))

I usually ride my bicycle around town so the cost of gas doesn't bother me. If for some reason I do drive to a store, the parking situation in L.A. makes more of a difference to me than gas prices. Most often, I buy online anyway though..

I agree with buying online for $1000 items and below, but I guess I am a sucker for the 0% interest that is at the local chain for the larger items.

So much for the little guys I guess.

I prefer my local store over a chain store. Simply because the people in the local store are more friendly and they know my name!

My local store was the opposite. They would not answer any questions on a new lens that had just come out (most stores had it in stock). This store only had the older models. And when I asked for more information on the newer one. They said they didn't know anything about it but we have 4 of these in stock (previous version). Now I was in Jeans and a flannel shirt so probably didn't look the type to be buying a $1,000 or more lens. They really made me feel like I needed to go bet both my D300's and bring them to the store. And just say hey does these qualify me to be able to buy a lens from you?? They just didn't want to take the time to help me. Handed me a brochure and said a link to their website was on it. HELLO, if I am asking about the lens I KNOW about it!!! Didn't even mention they would check if they could order it.

Another time I went in I was wanting to get a good CPL for my travel camera. They only had an off brand for about $39. I asked if they had any better ones somewhere else. They said those were professional level filters and be just fine for anything. I specifically asked if they had any multi-coated Hoyas or B+W's. The lady said thats what we have and turned and walked back to the counter. Again they didn't even mention if they were willing to order one. It was basically take it or leave it.

So, I left it and them. Obviously people like them enough to keep them in business. But they are not doing themselves any favors with their sales tactics or lack of them!

I've had a few larger places (Even my bank and this was a large branch and well staffed too) say to "Go to the websit" for stuff :(
Sadly when staff say that I know that its often not them, but head office promoting the internet sales over shop sales (cheaper, faster, more range, more offers etc.....) so I do feel bad for the shop staff in some ways. But still most places have a net link - if you are going to tell me to use the net you can darn well sit down and show me the website yourself because I've not walked/traveled all that way to just be sent back to the PC at home........

grrr....

Most reactions

Back