Where?

Click the links to B&H or Adorama on this site. Both of those are great places, and you help support the site when you buy through those links. Local pro shops are always a good place too. I buy all of my pricey stuff via local shops just because I have horrible luck with getting duds via mail-order.

That is the most useless thing to ask. We need more! Wha kind of DSLR? What do you want to do with it? What's a "good price?"

But I guess I'll take a shot in the dark and try to help you. If you don't already own an SLR (And so don't already have a collection of lenses), and want something cheap but very capable, I'd recommend the Pentax K10. The body is cheap and durable(Weather sealed, VERY sturdy), its technical specs aren't super, but they're good - especially for the price. The lenses are REALLY cheap and you can use almost any K-Mount lens dating back to 1975.

Other cameras do outperform it, yes, but at a much higher pricetag. It's by far the best bang for the buck.

Just like the previous post above.

Make sure you have the warranty for the product you purchased. This is about miniature electronics where even the manufacturers don't do fixing anymore. When they recieve a faulty product from their customers they just replace it. So make sure your product is worth every penny you spent.

You may want to look at the used department of B&H. They are the ONLY place that I would get used equipment.

Or you may want to look at their new cameras like the D40, or something similar.

An SLR for 600? Err. K100 then? Maybe the D40 or the Sony Alpha 100? I dunno, but 600 is kind of low if you want to buy a lens too :p

I've heard bad things about the Alpha 100. Especially when compared to any of the Rebels.

Sorry for patronizing, but are you sure you're ready for an SLR?

Sorry for patronizing, but are you sure you're ready for an SLR?

Seriously, I don't think DD is meaning to be rude at all. He may be correct. There are some VERY good quality (full-featured) fixed lense cameras out there that take some excellent everyday pictures. You may need to take a step back and think what you want to do with your camera. $600 for a halfway decent DSLR & lens is kinda limiting yourself, and setting up for possible dissapointment. It can be done, but to do it right at that price, you really need to know what you are shopping for. A little extra investment now goes a LONG way later. Remember, with a DSLR, you are no longer paying for film/developing/print cost per roll, which is a huge savings. Figure out how much film you think you would shoot, add up that price over some time, and add that to what you would be willing to spend on a little higher quality.

Yeah, maybe you'd be pretty happy with a Canon G9 or something. That series of cameras is very, very nice. They go for 500-600 bucks, can shoot raw, can take filters and tele/wide converters and are very well-built. It's a compact that thinks it's an SLR. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't quite want a bulky, expensive SLR, but still wants most of the power.

Most reactions

Back