Where's the D50

IanRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking to upgrade from my 29 year old Minolta XG9 to dSLR and i was looking at the D40 and the D50. I tried to look at prices for the D50 but it seems that most stores don't carry it anymore. Why is this? And to me they seem like they are almost the same camera, which one is better and why? Thanks for your help.

The D50 has been discontinued in favor of the D40 and the D40x.

Why is Nikon counting down? Seems kind of weird.:confused:

-Nikon counts down I guess because the D40 is somehow a reduced version of the D50.

-You can get the D50 second hand. Personally, I would prefer the D50 over the D40. Even if it only were (and it is not only) because of the body size

And just a final brief note: I wouldn't call that an "upgrade" at all!

Why is Nikon counting down? Seems kind of weird.:confused:

They aren't. They are staggering their cameras a bit in the face of competition. I think the D50 was the closest competitor to the Canon 350D. Now they have the D40 which is cheaper but worse feature wise (not quality wise), or the D80 which is significantly better :)

I would check out ebay or possibly craigslist for some used D50s

I just picked up a D50 set up with a nikon 28-80mm lens, and a 2gb memory card. It comes with all the factory included stuff as well and was only $519.

I would also look into a used D70, it may be a few dollars more but it is capable of using a SDHC card where the D50 can't.

I was just in the same boat a few weeks ago, wanted a d50
couldnt find one, didnt really want the D40.

Found a brand new in box D50 with 18-55 lens on ebay
got it for $480 usd

which is nice, casue the store around the corner here, is selling the D50 with a different lens, (20-80 or somthing) for $1200 cad

loving it so far.

The D50 uses SDHC cards right? Just wanted to make sure before plopping a 4 gb in that sucker.

Not to derail this thread.

Most reactions

Back