Wheres the love for Tokina? (Searched)

R6_Dude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So as some of you may know, I stopped by Samy's Camera this weekend to pick up a 50mm 1.8. I am also in the market for a UWA and was pretty much set on the Canon 10-22 f3.5. I asked to take a look at it and the sales guy brought out both the Canon and Tokina 11-16 2.8!
I took the Tokina out and pretty much fell in love with the way it looks (I know I know, looks don't matter :lol:). I've read the www.juzaphoto.com review, but would still like TPF's feedback.

However it did get me thinking, I really wanted a 2.8 lens. But I have read (on here) that the corners seem to be soft and at 2.8, its not as sharp (this one is arguable, b/c some agree and some totally disagree).

I would be shooting cars (up close for that wide look) landscapes. I have been told that shooting landscapes, I wouldn't be under f/4 anyway so getting a 2.8 would be useless. But I'm thinking it'll come in handy, for the lowlight, indoors, pictures. What do you think?

Glass. I've ready (if only I can find that link!) that the Canon 10-22 actually uses an L series glass but they don't advertise it for whatever reason. Hows the glass on the Tokina.

Price. Samy's camera had the lens for $599 (they didn't mention it was a sale or anything) so I figured I'd be able to get it even cheaper online, but amazon has it for 699! Why?

Wideness. There is the obvious that there is a -1 at the bottom end and -6 at the zoom end. Should I be concern? If you own it, do you feel sometimes you absolutely need it?

If you got it, I'd love to hear about it!

Where is the love for Tokina haha.
Posted this in the digital Q&A, but since I'm a beginner and there is more activity in here, I decided to post here haha.

So as some of you may know, I stopped by Samy's Camera this weekend to pick up a 50mm 1.8. I am also in the market for a UWA and was pretty much set on the Canon 10-22 f3.5. I asked to take a look at it and the sales guy brought out both the Canon and Tokina 11-16 2.8!
I took the Tokina out and pretty much fell in love with the way it looks (I know I know, looks don't matter :lol:). I've read the www.juzaphoto.com review, but would still like TPF's feedback.

However it did get me thinking, I really wanted a 2.8 lens. But I have read (on here) that the corners seem to be soft and at 2.8, its not as sharp (this one is arguable, b/c some agree and some totally disagree).

I would be shooting cars (up close for that wide look) landscapes. I have been told that shooting landscapes, I wouldn't be under f/4 anyway so getting a 2.8 would be useless. But I'm thinking it'll come in handy, for the lowlight, indoors, pictures. What do you think?

Glass. I've ready (if only I can find that link!) that the Canon 10-22 actually uses an L series glass but they don't advertise it for whatever reason. Hows the glass on the Tokina.

Price. Samy's camera had the lens for $599 (they didn't mention it was a sale or anything) so I figured I'd be able to get it even cheaper online, but amazon has it for 699! Why?

Wideness. There is the obvious that there is a -1 at the bottom end and -6 at the zoom end. Should I be concern? If you own it, do you feel sometimes you absolutely need it?

If you got it, I'd love to hear about it!

Since you are a beginner, you can break the forum rule?

I primarily shoot landscapes and I love my 11-16, the f2.8 come in really handy for night shots of the Milky Way.

How was it broken? Certain parts of the forum gets more activity than others. I have seen many posts about different lens in this forum. But if you would like me to have it closed, I'll do it just for you :mrgreen:

I primarily shoot landscapes and I love my 11-16, the f2.8 come in really handy for night shots of the Milky Way.

I'm sure you looked into the sigma and canon before your purchase. How do you feel about the distortion and non-usm?

How was it broken? Certain parts of the forum gets more activity than others. I have seen many posts about different lens in this forum. But if you would like me to have it closed, I'll do it just for you :mrgreen:

You can ask the forum Mods and see if they can move the other thread to here instead of open a new thread. :)

Here's a review of that lens on a Canon body:
Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Canon) - Review / Lens Test Report

It's a very sharp lens from what I've read, but it vignettes fairly heavy at f/2.8 @ 11mm. From f/4 it's good at any focal length. It does produce some strong lateral CAs, but as that article mentions that's usually fairly easy to get rid of in post.

I've wanted to get that lens for quite some time for my Nikon, but haven't got to it yet. I've been trying to avoid putting too much money into crop-sensor lenses in case I go full-frame one day, but I may just get it.

>SNIP>I've read (if only I can find that link!) that the Canon 10-22 actually uses an L series glass but they don't advertise it for whatever reason.

The 10-22 is not advertised as an L-glass lens because of the build quality; the lens has a frequent fault, which is barrel separation. Meaning the lens snaps into two pieces fairly frequently. Similar to the 50mm 1.8 EF-II. A forum member right here on TPF told me that the 10-22 was "Like an L-glass lens" and then about a week later in a PM,he told me that the lens snapped in two.

Canon does not apply the L-glass name unless the mechanical build quality of a lens is professional-grade. And that is why Canon does not class the 10-22 as an L-glass lens--because it is simply not L-grade mechanically.

You can ask the forum Mods and see if they can move the other thread to here instead of open a new thread. :)

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know I can do that.

Here's a review of that lens on a Canon body:
Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Canon) - Review / Lens Test Report

It's a very sharp lens from what I've read, but it vignettes fairly heavy at f/2.8 @ 11mm. From f/4 it's good at any focal length. It does produce some strong lateral CAs, but as that article mentions that's usually fairly easy to get rid of in post.

I've wanted to get that lens for quite some time for my Nikon, but haven't got to it yet. I've been trying to avoid putting too much money into crop-sensor lenses in case I go full-frame one day, but I may just get it.

What are lateral CA? How would you correct it on PS?

I was rather surprised to hear about the barrel separation error with the canon 10-20mm because up till now I had not heard anyone mentioning that the lens had a running fault. I tried googling around and only came upon this result here:

Print Page - "Sigma'd !"

And for what its worth there are some who say that the results there are not to be taken wholy as fact for real world use since rental lenses tend to get used a bit more abusivly (people take far more care over stuff they own than stuff they don't own).

edit:
http://www.newschoolofphotography.com/general-discussion/10470-sigma-saga.html
eg some in that thread were discussing the possibility that increased shipping and even the quality/method of shipping might also lead to increased failure/damage rates

I was just surprised that I had not heard of this problem before since the lens falling in two I would expect to be far more reported if it were wide spread.

Also on L grading canon only attach the L grade to fullframe compatable lenses - any lens which is EFS also does not get the L status

i got mine recently r6 dude, i am happy with it and it's super sharp.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ews-reviews/185893-tokina-11-16-f2-8-how.html

I saw your thread through a search, but wasn't sure if I should bump an old thread.

congrats! Any gripes about it? How about the lateral CA's, that were mentioned, notice it at all? Can you post any pics (that has no post process) to see what are the outcomes?

*edit*
notice you posted pics in your other thread I just cant see it b/c I'm on the work comp haha. I'll check it out tonight, thanks!

Also, it was mentioned in your old thread that another member had to get 3 copies to get a good one. How do you know if you have gotten a bad one?

i have no gripes, i have had it for about 6 weeks. so far so good.

Also, it was mentioned in your old thread that another member had to get 3 copies to get a good one. How do you know if you have gotten a bad one?

i believe he mentioned that the edges where soft at 18 mm. i haven't noticed any problems like that with mine (yet).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back